Need help from Mac users.
Nov 27, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys - he has a Macbook, he's going to need to go mini-DVI to DVI then DVI to HDMI, and I'd be kind of iffy about the picture quality if you have to go through so many conversions.

Oh they use that now? My Powerbook has straight-up DVI. At any rate, Flip4Mac is a good recommendation for Windows Media streams, etc.

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I've finally got my Macbook 062LL/B.

Congratulations!
Apple sure make some excellent portable computers. I have two of them...

Quote:

What's the alternative software for EAC & Lame transcoding?

Your best choice will be Max. Max from sbooth.org

Quote:

Which music player do you use on your Mac?

iTunes. Its close to perfect for what I need.

Quote:

Which Mac movie player able to play MKV & OGM?

VLC, QuickTime Player (need extensions), and probably others.

Quote:

What's a good JPG viewer to read manga scanlations? I'm using Acdsee v3.1 on my pc. I tried mac preview, it open each file separately and unable to jump on the next file.

ACDSee is available for Mac OS as well.
wink.gif

For all I know it might be exactly what you want...

Quote:

Is there a way to put date on status bar (the bar on top, it shows day & time, however I can't find a way to put date visible on that bar)?

No such built in feature. On time, with day as an option. No date.
3rd. party applications I am not sure.

Quote:

Which plug-in will I need for Internet browsing? What I'm trying to ask here, when I use pc, I've to download Adobe reader, Real, Windows Media Player, Quicktime, Flash, SWF, Divx, Java to be able to see some website. Do I need to download all of them in Mac?

DivX 'might' be usable. QuickTime, Flash, Java are installed by default.

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coming from Windows, I always partition my Hard Drive and separate my personal files (mp3, doc, pics, etc) from my windows/program files. Since I'm going to install Xp pro on my macbook, I'm going to separate my hd to 4 partition.
1. for OSX system
2. for OSX personal files
3. for Windows system
4. for Windows personal files
so what do you think guys? Is it necessary to do that?

It's not necessary to do this on a Mac. One of the main reasons for keeping personal files so separate on Windows is because you reinstall the operating system every 6 months or so, and it's helpful to have your personal files separate. But on OS X, all your personal files are constrained to be within your home folder by default... think of your home folder as a separate partition, just in a directory. If you want to ever reinstall OS X (I've never done so, btw, except for upgrades), just make a copy of your user folder first. That backs up all your user files. The "Archive and Install" feature when a new version of OS X comes out does this automatically.

I'd just keep a Mac partition and a Boot Camp partition, personally. If you want two separate Windows partitions, one for the OS and one for files, you could do that too. But I see no reason to have two Mac partitions.

Quote:

Re-organizing Applications.
I read that Apple suggest putting all programs under applications folder. My application folder looks messy right now, I prefer to re-organize them under sub-folder on applications. Will it cause problems?

You can always move around third-party applications. You can also move around Apple apps and they'll still run, but it used to be in older versions of the OS that moving around Apple apps could make the system update thing not be able to find them. I'm pretty sure that's fixed in Leopard, though.

Quote:

Un-installing programs.
I just want to make sure here, all I need to do is dragging the program to the trash can, isn't it? Is there anything I should do?

Yes, that's the great thing about OS X. It makes trying out new software much more friendly. Note that, like Windows uninstallers, there may be a few configuration files in your Library folder left over after you drag a program to the trash. This is by design, so you don't lose any data when uninstalling programs. But if you're obsessive and it bugs you (it doesn't bug me, I think it's the right behavior), try applications like AppZapper, which cleanse your system of all related files when you uninstall.

Quote:

System Maintenance
Should I do system maintenance on Mac (Defrag, disk Scan, etc)?

No. The system automatically defragments files below a certain threshold on your boot hard drive as you use it. There's no need to run these kind of maintenance tools. If you think something is wrong with one of your hard drives, run Disk Utility in your Utilities folder, click on the partition or drive in question, and click Verify. It can repair too if it finds any problems.

Quote:

Antivirus & Firewall
Well, I learn that you don't need antivirus on mac, how about Firewall?

There is a firewall in System Preferences -> Security. You should turn it on. I would also recommend clicking "Advanced" and turning on Stealth Mode.

Nov 27, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #19 of 28
I use an free app named Onyx for maintenance - every time they upgrade the OS say 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 you should wait a couple days to a week (let others be the guinea pigs) and then check for updates to Onyx. Sometimes Apple upgrades things that causes conflicts between the two.

For putting subfolders in Applications it works fine for me but a lot of times when Apple updates an application like iTunes, you end up with two copies - one in a subfolder and one in the Application folder. What I do (if I remember is take all the Apple apps out of the subfolder before updating Apple apps). Other than that I haven't had problems. I use pixadex and icons to make subfolders look cooler.

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #20 of 28
Ok guys, I need help. I got my xp pro sp2 and I'm able to setup bootcamp. I set one big partition for osx, 25 Gb partition for Windows system. I need another partition for Windows (NTFS). It will be used for personal files.
This was how I'm doing it.
One big partition for OSX
setup bootcamp 1 big partition for OSX & 25 Gb for windows system.
Divide OSX Partition to 1 big partition for OSX and 20Gb partition
Wipe out 20Gb partition as Free Space
Boot Windows
Go to Disk Management and Format 20Gb partition as NTFS
During the format, I got this error message
Quote:

The partition number of a boot partition has changed, Disk Management was unable to update Boot.ini to reflect these changes. If you do not change the number, you will not able to restart your computer correctly

At this point, once I restarted the system, my windows will no longer boot.

I'm lost here. I have tried to edit boot.ini and change the partition value, however it doesn't work and I can't boot windows now.

What should I do to have 2 NTFS partition and get them to work?
At this point, how can I repair the windows boot without reinstall the whole thing?

Dec 9, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #21 of 28
Hi Guys, I solve my problems partially. This is how I do it.

I use OSX Install disk to boot, erase the whole drive and partitioned it into 3 partition, A HFS+, B HFS+, C FAT32.
I quit the installer, eject the disk, insert xp pro, format C FAT32 to NTFS and install XP pro on it.
After installing XP pro, I put OSX install disk, restart the system and install OSX to A HFS+.
From OSX, I erase B HFS+, format it to FAT32.
So from this point, I have A HFS+ w/ OSX on it, B Fat32, C NTFS w/ Windows on it.
However, from XP, I'm unable to format that FAT32 to NTFS. I got error message "unable to complete format"
I find another way around that problem by converting that FAT32 to NTFS. I'm still unable to format them in NTFS though.

Will I have a problem with this NTFS drive which I'm unable to format?
Is anyone know how to have 2 NTFS drive on Bootcamp?

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #23 of 28
I got a confusing problem here guys. As you know, currently I have 3 partitions on my macbook. 1st partition HFS+ for my Leopard system, 2nd partition NTFS for my Xp pro system, 3rd partition NTFS for my personal files. I use Paragon NTFS for Mac so I'm able to write ntfs on my OSX.
That 3rd partition showed up on both XP & OSX, however every files created by XP, only showed up on Xp, I won't be able to see it on OSX and it works both ways, meaning every files created by OSX, only showed up on OSX, it doesn't show up on Xp.
Anyone knows the culprit here?

Another annoyances, every time I type on my macbook, it always scrolls up & down. I guess it's because my hands accidentally touh the trackpad, is there a way to disable trackpad when I type on Xp?

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #24 of 28
This is really a support question with Paragon NTFS. I don't know anyone else who uses that product so you're probably unlikely to get a lot of responses on most forums... You may wish to contact their support or check the support documents on their website. As an alternative you might want to try NTFS-3G.

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #25 of 28
Just thought I would update the thread to include notification of XLD and the fact it can now rip securely as per EAC. I would still keep MAX as another option though as each has managed to rip 'difficult' discs where the other has not succeeded 100% or where XLD gets bogged down in trying to go for a perfect rip (ie I do not want to let it grind away for >1 hour).

X Lossless Decoder (XLD): How to create flawless CD rips on Mac OS X :: What.CD

For a useful guide and link to latest version plus a feature comparison between rippers:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3112/...8baa6424_o.jpg

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #26 of 28
Hmm...you seem to be using your Mac like it was a PC...

Anyway, about the Applications folder issue: I'd leave it messy. And then get Quicksilver, an application launcher. It will change your life. Forever. Thought Spotlight is pretty powerful now too, actually...

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...you seem to be using your Mac like it was a PC...

Maybe because its a PC (Personal Computer)...
wink_face.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #28 of 28
What I recommend doing is (and I've not read the whole thread) is using Parallels 4 with your bootcamp partition, if there are no programs, such as games, that need serious graphics performance. With the Hypervisor enabled, it's pretty damn fast. If you have 4GB of RAM in your machine, you wont have to worry about memory either. The integration in Parallels 4 will save you all the problems of having files stored in two partitions as it puts My Documents etc on the Mac side, including using the same desktop (on your Mac).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back