Need help from fellow Zhaolu D2 owners... Get a Discrete Amp for the D2 CS4398?
Nov 30, 2006 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SayNoToPistons

500+ Head-Fier
I am getting a Zhaolu D2 DAC with the CS4398 board. I'm waiting for it to arrive. I was wondering if i should get an upgraded "discrete amp" ($55 or less) for it or spend more money ($150+) on a separate headphone amp instead? Source is the Emu-1212M and my current headphones are the HD280 PRO and the HD 555, but i am planning on getting better head phones (and a KSC 75 to go with everything) later on. How does the discrete amp compare with amps around $150-$250?

Thanks.

Nov 30, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 7
I think the discrete amp is darn good and is going to be competitive with anything up to $250. For $50 it's an outright steal, practically a giveaway. It does better with lower impedance headphones and I see your cans have 64 and 150 ohm ratings so the discrete amp would likely drive the well indeed. It's a solid little amp that is very, very good. When you get closer to the $300 range and higher, well, yeah, I would likely look at all the options, but if your budget is $150-250 (but realistically even lower if possible but you want good sound) then the discrete amp is just a no brainer. You won't be at all disappointed.

Nov 30, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, so what kind of amps (name) can the discrete amp compare with?

Dec 1, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 7
From your list of equipment you now don't have a separate amp right ? I then would just go with the upgraded one. I don't think I have ever heard any negative comments about it , seems to be a real winner for the price (was not available when I got mine). In the future you may want to try a Meier Headfive if you can find one used , has great synergy with the D2c. Oh make sure to do the DC cap blocking mod on that D2.

Dec 1, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 7
I just updated my sig. I now have an EMU-1212M running toslink out.

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 7
Go for the upgraded amp. There's no sense in paying out extra money when you don't need to. You don't need to pay extra for the enclosure, power supply, etc because it's all there anyway already, that's why it can be inexpensive and there's no point in redoing it.

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You for sure want to keep your M3...the headamp in Zhaolu is at cmoy quality...at least my pimeta bests it by some margin. so...M3 would walk all over it
biggrin.gif

A lil quote from chesebert...

??

Ahh... nevermind. I discover more as i read through the D2 thread!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are quite harsh in saying that my impressions are "misinformaiton" The zhaolu headamp is just a super basic CMOY ...maybe that's why they are bring a full discrete upgrade at a later date. Zhaolu is formost a DAC ...headphone out is just an accessory atleast in the basic version. Please do not judge before you had a chance to listen. THX!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back