Need help for under 100 headphone for classical as a gift.
Sep 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sullane

New Head-Fier
It is a gift for my step dad. He only listens to classical music, and I have no clue what is good for classical. I'm trying to keep it below a hundred because I don't want him to feel like I blew too much money on them. The source will be from his car or computer and he'll be listening to them in his car. As for isolation, I don't really know how much you need in a car, but about that much. Thank you for your help

Edit: I think it'd be best to give him over or on ear headphones. I can't imagine him wearin iem's

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 5
It is a gift for my step dad. He only listens to classical music, and I have no clue what is good for classical. I'm trying to keep it below a hundred because I don't want him to feel like I blew too much money on them. The source will be from his car or computer and he'll be listening to them in his car. As for isolation, I don't really know how much you need in a car, but about that much. Thank you for your help

Heya,

A) Driving with headphones on is illegal and you can get pulled over and ticketed for it. Just FYI.

B) Isolation while driving is important if you want to actually hear your music. Cars are noisy. Traffic is noisy. If you're trying to appreciate classical music in a headphone, and not through the car's speakers, you'll want closed or semi-closed headphones. Otherwise, he's going to be turning up the volume to hear anything and that's an easy way to damage your hearing.

Regardless though, here's some options:

Samson SR950
JVC HARX900
Gemini HSR-100
AudioTechnica T400

Very best,

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 5
Oh, I never knew that. I can see the bad things that could happen now that you mention it though. Thanks for the warning and the recommendations. I will check them out.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 5
The dt660's are regarded as really, really good closed cans for classical. Dunno if they are a tad more expensive than your budget
Maybe look here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 5
  The dt660's are regarded as really, really good closed cans for classical. Dunno if they are a tad more expensive than your budget
Maybe look here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Hmm, I've seen these mentioned as such before. I somehow mistakenly thought they were beyond $200. I still have a ways to go before his birthday so perhaps I will simply wait till these go on sale. Thanks for reminding me of these. Well either I get these, one of the first four recommendations the other kind member got me, or find something different because indeed it is illegal and dangerous to wear headphones in a car so he'll only be able to wear them at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back