Need Help for speakers to use with computer
Jun 15, 2003 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

pengin

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi'ers.
One of my friend's birthdays is coming up, and he has hinted at new computer speakers. I really know NOTHING about speakers, and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction / what to look for.

Usages of the new speakers would be for playing of music (mp3s at 128 to 192kbs 44.1khz and cds). This music is for personal enjoyment and just 'music' for when friends come over. Secondly, the computer will be used for playing DVD movies.

His sound card currently is Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1. From what I understand, his current speakers do not support digital 5.1 sound, and he is looking for ones that DO support this.

For speakers, he wants loud, powerful, deep, clear, & clean bass that does not get distorted easily. An Team Equalizer enthusiast :p.

Price range is UP to $200 USD. Any comments / suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. I really don't know where to start, so thanks!

derek

Jun 15, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 13
For computer use, get these and don't look back. Not 5.1, but I don't think he will miss it too much.

Jun 15, 2003 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 13
Klipsch ProMedia, or Creative/Cambridge Sound Works, or Monsoon are all generally considered to be the best multimedia speakers. I prefer the CSW speakers myself (www.hifi.com), as the miniature horns in the Klipsch severely distort piano music (but I doubt that is your friend's type of music!).

For general use (gaming and such), Klipsch are the favorites. CSW speakers are more musical, and Monsoons I think are somewhat overpriced. Best thing to do is take a good listen at all three.

--Chris

Jun 15, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 13
Hmm icic. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
I was also looking at the Klipsch 4.2 system, it seems pretty good.. as he is quite a 'bass-head'.
however, the situation is that he ALREADY owns a 5.1 system.. it just doesn't support dobly digital. From what i understand, its analog 5.1.. And he wants something that will enable dolby digital. I don't think the Klipsch 4.1/4.2 systems suporrt dobly digital 5.1.. hehe :p
Ill try and see if i can find out what 5.1 system he owns right now. I believe its Altec Lansing.
EDIT: OH, also.. my friend hinted at this system a few months ago.. i wonder if you guys know if its any good?
http://www.hifi.com/store/category....s&item=c1dt35ee
The Cambridge SoundWorks DeskTop Theater 5.1 DTT3500 Digital

derek

Jun 15, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 13
The DT3500 sounds harsh and has a poor subwoofer. I wouldn't go with it. Does your friend really need a digital decoder? For watching dvd's on the pc, an analog 5.1 will do as long as you have a software dvd player to handle the digital decoding. I would recommend the megaworks 550, I guarantee it would destroy the dt3500 and whatever your friend currently has. It can be had for $164, see this thread .
Oh and tell your friend to get a new soundcard I recommend the audigy 2 if he's a big gamer.

Jun 15, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 13
The Creative/CSW MegaWorks 510D (note the D as opposed to the plain 510) has digital line-in that is compatible with the mini-DIN on Creative sound cards. The two are made for each other, and sound fabulous!

--Chris

Jun 16, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 13
The 550 replaced the 510D. You can still buy the 510 but the 550 is cheaper. The 550 lacks the digital connection but you really don't need it. Plus it has a better subwoofer
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 13
Hey,
I just got back from my friends house. I was MISTAKEN, his speakers are NOT altec lansing. He was consdering to buy them altec lansing ones.. but then did NOT because they were too expensive. Instead, he got these speakers: Multimedia Mightiness Convulse A-823C. Here is a link. http://www.benscustomcases.com/reviews/51speakers/

Hmmm..
With that in mind
will the creative speakers sound better than these?
Does digital connection make that MUCH of a difference. With the sound card ive already described. Like, he wants to watch DVDS on his comp (cuz he has a DVD-ROM drive). Doesn't dolby digital 5.1 sound better than just analog? (i'm sorry if those are the wrong terms.. im not quite up to speed on home theatre / speaker technology).

derek

Jun 16, 2003 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 13
OK time for some education
wink.gif

First of all the megaworks is light years beyond that crappy system he has. Hell altec lansing would be pure gold compared with what he has.
Now you are confusing digital connection with dolby digital 5.1. There are two types of connections available to connect your multimedia system to the pc, analog and digital. It DOES NOT MATTER how you connect them, whether analog or digital! Some people think that digital sounds better but this is not true, in my experience I owned some creative speakers before which sounded worse in digital than in analog.
Now as for dolby digital 5.1, this is how dvd's are recorded and you need a decoder to convert that digital stream into analog so your speakers can play it back. Now most people who watch dvd's on the pc use a software decoder like WinDVD or PowerDVD. This does the decoding in software so you can hook up pretty much any multimedia speaker, whether 2.1, 4.1, 5.1 and get sound.
Now some systems come with a built in decoder such as the logitech z-680 system. Now this is great because you can hook it up to a component dvd player or x-box and get surround sound. However, you don't really need such a system for pc dvd as you can just use a software decoder as I said above.
So just tell your friend to toss his system in the dumpster and buy the megaworks. They are analog only, but you just use a software dvd decoder and you get full surround sound in dvd movies. Oh and he should get a new sound card, the sb live is old and has been surpassed as far as sound quality goes. A Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Audigy 2 would be nice.

Jun 16, 2003 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 13
If you want the megaworks, then go for it.

Timely AT:HD link

I myself think that 5.1 isn't that much of an improvement over 4.1, but if you want it, it's your choice. The refurbished promedia 4.1's are nearly good as new, and come in at $150.

Of course, if you're willling to step up to Klipsch, and a sub that has better bass than anything that has been discussed(dual 8" drivers), along with 5.1 sound, it is $300 at CompUSSR (formerly freakily cheap @ 250, but it's a day or two late for that).

Of course, when one gets into this price territory, you are close to the point where it makes more sense to buy lowend audiophile speakers and a lowend sub.

Sorry bout my blind enthusiasm, computer speakers are one place where I'm still firmly in the "I bought it, it's the best thing in the world" camp.

Jun 16, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 13
I would also like to suggest the Logitech Z560 and the previously mentioned Z680 THX certified speakers - (although the 560s just "squeaked" by)...the 560 are 4.1 speakers - they have binding post connections so your friend can cable roll a little - the BIG subwoofer is housed in a pretty hefty wood box - the bass is so deep and loud that I have to turn all my bass settings down for fear of being kicked out of my apartment -

FWIW the Klipsche tho seem to be the defacto must have in computer sound right now - but here in canada they are over priced compared to the logitechs...

cant really go wrong with either the Klipsche, CSW or Logitechs in my opinion...

Jun 17, 2003 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for all of the posts. I've learned SOOO MUCH already! Hehehe.
One question. Many of you have suggestion the Klipsch 4.1 system. I was looking at their website.. and came across their 4.2 system.
http://www.klipsch.com/product/produ...md=More&cmd_r=
Does anyone know anything about this model? I thought it would be quite intersting.. Since the Klipsch systems are already supposed to be pretty good.. right? And since my friend is such a basshead.. wouldn't TWO subs be 'bassy' hehe.

Ideas?

derek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back