Need help for recommending a amp for my e5
May 19, 2005 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

yongchen819

New Head-Fier
280smile.gif

[size=x-small]Buy a e5c. But find there is serious background noise together with my Total Bithead. What is the most valuable amp for e5c (quite and good drive)? I am considering the CORDA HA-1 MkII and Emmeline SR-71. What about others? Price don't excess $500 (student budget)
tongue.gif

I do need help. Thanks![/size]

May 20, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 12
I would recommend against using the E5C with SR71. The midrange and bass were nice, but there was no treble.

Are you looking for a home or portable amp?

Check out this thread from a while back: Link

May 20, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
I would recommend against using the E5C with SR71. The midrange and bass were nice, but there was no treble.

Are you looking for a home or portable amp?

Check out this thread from a while back: Link

That really surprises me.
My SR-71 sounds great w/ ER-4P/S and Sure e2c. Never tried the E5C.
CPW

May 20, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 12
I've been using my e5s with the supermacro v3. no hiss and greatly improved sound coming from the hd3 (which sounds terrible with the e5s without an amp - or maybe that's because i know what it sounds like with the supermacro). haven't tried many other amps (just a headroom one), but this combo works very well for me.

May 21, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks everyone!
I got a Total Bithead. But the hiss is terrible. Micro desktop AMP should be my preference. I dont want another mobile amp. The total bithead is fine with my HD590. Now i am considering :
Corda HA-1 MK2, Jan said he can reduce the gain factor to reduce the noise, but i worry about the driving ability with my next target HD600, maybe it will lose some sonic characteristics?
Gilmore Lite, however, is that neccessary i need to upgrade Gilmore Lite with Dedicated Power Supply. Will the default power supply cause the hiss problem? (Is there any cheaper power supply in the market
tongue.gif
)
SR-71, it seems good. Just worry about the treble
Xin SM3: will be the second mobile amp for me if i choose it.
rolleyes.gif

Due to the budget, i have to miss the HR-2
icon10.gif

May 22, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm currently using Edwood's Pimeta with the E5's and it's damn impressive. No hiss what-so-ever and it sounds wonderful. I don't know how easy it would be to convince him to build you one though.

Short of that, the PreSonus HP4 isn't bad either, doesn't sound quite as good as Ed's Pimeta but it's dead quiet and still sounds very good.

I really don't think it's necessary to spend $500 on an amp for the E5.

May 23, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533

I actually think the SR-71 pushes the treble a little bit forward with the E5c. A lot more than the SuperMacro v2 with 627 opamps as well as my HeadRoom Coda.

I haven't tried any other amps, but I thought this was a very synergistic pairing.

Best,

-Jason

May 24, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I actually think the SR-71 pushes the treble a little bit forward with the E5c. A lot more than the SuperMacro v2 with 627 opamps as well as my HeadRoom Coda.

I haven't tried any other amps, but I thought this was a very synergistic pairing.

I agree with this =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back