Need help for new IEM. Budget cca 300-400 EUR.
Jun 6, 2020 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Vepromon

New Head-Fier
First of all, thank you all for your help. Im new to this forum, and im generaly doing more reading then writing, so i was present here a lot before i decided to register :)

Im looking to start my IEM audiophile journey. I own Soundmagic E50, and find the exceptionally good for the price.
Im always using in-ear headphones, i like to listen to music on my phone, where i have stored a lot of FLAC albums, and also created a nice DEEZER library.

What i want to do now i take this experience to the next level, and thats where i need your help... :)

After a lot of reading, ive made an impression that CA Andromeda is THE perfect IEM for me. Unfortunately, they are a bit far out of my price range, so i`ve decided to go a bit lower. I have considered Shure SE846 and SE535, but decided to give up on them (846 for too flat sound, 535 for lack of bass).

Recently i have discovered the newly released DUNU DK-2001. I think that would be a very good starting point, but i have no experience in comparing them to anything else (and i dont think soundmagic E50 is an adequate compare point :) ).

So, im stuck a bit, and need your advices:
1) Dunu DK-2001,
2) Westone W40.. or something...
3) SHURE SE535LTD (if i manage to grab them on a good deal, i still consider them an ok option).
4) Something else?

Im using DEEZER mostly, on a phone, so i need the IEMs that will be fun to listen to, without any fatigue, but still with nice details and a solid bass. If i have to choose between bass and treble, i would go for the clarity of the treble.

Thank you all for your suggestions, and if anything of theese doesnt sound like a good option for you, please suggest your favorite :)

Btw, im from Serbia, but i could manage to get someone from EU to bring them to me here. Price is also an importan figure for me in making this choice.

Btw 2, Im considering a purchase of a portable DAC, like Dragonfly or something in the future, so dont mind the quality of the phone DAC.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 42
First of all, thank you all for your help. Im new to this forum, and im generaly doing more reading then writing, so i was present here a lot before i decided to register :)

Im looking to start my IEM audiophile journey. I own Soundmagic E50, and find the exceptionally good for the price.
Im always using in-ear headphones, i like to listen to music on my phone, where i have stored a lot of FLAC albums, and also created a nice DEEZER library.

What i want to do now i take this experience to the next level, and thats where i need your help... :)

After a lot of reading, ive made an impression that CA Andromeda is THE perfect IEM for me. Unfortunately, they are a bit far out of my price range, so i`ve decided to go a bit lower. I have considered Shure SE846 and SE535, but decided to give up on them (846 for too flat sound, 535 for lack of bass).

Recently i have discovered the newly released DUNU DK-2001. I think that would be a very good starting point, but i have no experience in comparing them to anything else (and i dont think soundmagic E50 is an adequate compare point :) ).

So, im stuck a bit, and need your advices:
1) Dunu DK-2001,
2) Westone W40.. or something...
3) SHURE SE535LTD (if i manage to grab them on a good deal, i still consider them an ok option).
4) Something else?

Im using DEEZER mostly, on a phone, so i need the IEMs that will be fun to listen to, without any fatigue, but still with nice details and a solid bass. If i have to choose between bass and treble, i would go for the clarity of the treble.

Thank you all for your suggestions, and if anything of theese doesnt sound like a good option for you, please suggest your favorite :)

Btw, im from Serbia, but i could manage to get someone from EU to bring them to me here. Price is also an importan figure for me in making this choice.

Btw 2, Im considering a purchase of a portable DAC, like Dragonfly or something in the future, so dont mind the quality of the phone DAC.

Thanks in advance!
I think that you will get the most for your money with a so-called Chi-Fi IEM. There are some spectacular ones out now. Correct me if I’m wrong, but is seems like you want a well-balanced IEM w/o any one frequency region dominating too much. But you need some sparkle in the treble. I guess the challenge is that treble preferences are quite varied. I can list some great options, and then you can perhaps research them more. Listed prices are current approximations.

- Currently my favorite is the ThieAudio Legacy 3 ($120). Very well balanced, very enjoyable, no dominant frequency. I personally find the upper treble air to be really good, but some people may not.
- I‘m currently very interested in the Mangird Tea ($300), but not many reviews out yet.
- Moondrop Blessing 2 ($320) is a neutrally tuned IEM. Most people say it has low quantity of bass, but it is of very high quality, and is well extended into the sub bass. I’ve been eyeing these for a while.
- Moondrop Starfield ($110) is a highly recommended staple, that is well balanced (Harman-like tuning), smooth, detailed, and not offensive at all.
- JVC FDX1/FD01 ($225-$250) is a very highly detailed single dynamic driver IEM, with a neutral-ish tuning, well extended bass, but not a lot of it. High clarity and it is very tunable if you like tinkering. Treble extension is a little limited IF you use damping materials for the upper mids.
- Tin HiFi T4 ($80-110) is quite similar to the FDX1. It is a highly detailed single dynamic driver, but the upper mids and treble are considered bright for a lot of people. It is a slightly intense and detailed sound, but I don‘t think they are that bright, and I’m quite treble sensitive. You may like these a lot. Main downside is the wobbly MMCX connections, though they haven given me any problems thus far.
- Etymotic IEMs are very well respected and some are standard-bearers of what neutral tuning is. They are very accurate, but may lack the treble sparkle you want.

Other noteworthy IEMs, that I’m not really familiar with currently include:
- BQEYZ Spring 1 (Spring 2 coming soon)
- Tri i3
- Ikko OH1 and OH10 - a bit bassy it seems
- Shozy Form 1.1 and 1.4 - a bit bassy it seems
- ISN H40
- Mofasest Trio
- Shuoer EJ07 - many consider the treble rolled-off.
- LZ A6 (A7 coming soon)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 42
Oh, I should also include the Fearless S8 (Pro, Freedom, Z). The Pro and Freedom are V-shaped, but extremely detailed, too much for some. The S8Z is the newest, and is more balanced, with less bass.

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 42
Wow! Thank you so much for a very detailed answer. I will definitely check these out :)

I mostly listen to metal/rock/symphonic (nightwish, rammstein, disturbed, etc.).

Just for the info, are there dunu dk-2001 anything close of what youve just told me? They seem to fit the picture of good all-rounder chi-fi for me :)

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 42
Wow! Thank you so much for a very detailed answer. I will definitely check these out :)

I mostly listen to metal/rock/symphonic (nightwish, rammstein, disturbed, etc.).

Just for the info, are there dunu dk-2001 anything close of what youve just told me? They seem to fit the picture of good all-rounder chi-fi for me :)
I haven’t heard them myself, but they are quite popular. They seem to have a very even, balanced sound, and probably would be very good with your music preferences. The DUNU DK3001 Pro are another really good IEM, with quite a neutral balance, and slightly boosted bass.

E9EEF263-EF6A-465A-8545-DF5811BC0F5C.png

For more information:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dun...follow-up-to-the-dn-2000-and-dn-2000j.919732/

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 42
Thanks again :) ill compare your list with them.

Just for the argument sake, do you think CA Andromeda or Shure se846 would be a good solution for me, if a good deal comes up?

Hopefully others will chime in regarding the Andromeda and FH7, as I have no direct experience with them. The technologies are quite different in those 3 IEMs.

Regarding the se846, it is my overall favorite IEM, when considering build, sound, fit, and versatility. I use it for just listening to music, and also as a stage monitor. There are so many types of tips to choose from. You can adjust the sound quite a bit by changing the tips, the cables, the included filters, and the source. You can run it off of your phone easily, but I really like it with the Dragonfly Cobalt. The main thing to look at when considering an amp for it is the output impedance. It needs to be less than 1 Ohm, and the lower the better. If you listen through an amp with a higher OI, it can really change the sound, hurting the clarity and making it sound muddy and veiled. Unfortunately, there are probably a lot of people that heard them for the first time through a poorly matched source, and thus didn’t like the se846.

As for the overall tuning, it is mid-centric. Male and female vocals, as well as guitars, especially electric guitars are extremely clear and detailed through the se846. That’s also one of the big reasons why I like using it as a stage monitor. It‘s relatively neutral, with some bass boost (more sub bass than mid bass, just how I like it). The bass is not over boosted at all, but there is enough of it to be fun, while being clear and punchy. There is quite a bit of rumble, and it sounds a lot like a dynamic driver. The transients are very good too. I really like the sound of plucked strings. Overall, the tuning is smooth, and this is definitely not an offensive sounding IEM. You can listen to music for several hours w/o any fatigue.

Now, the treble is probably the most controversial aspect of this IEM. The lower and mid treble is really well presented and detailed, and sounds very good IMO, but there is essentially no ”air”. There is pretty much no treble above 9KHz. I don’t know if this is a dealbreaker for you, if you like a very extended and airy sound, but again, the treble that is there, is very clear.

The other aspect that is often criticized is that this has been around for a long time already. But if it ain‘t broke....? I just think that the MSRP is too high for the current IEM market. I wouldn’t and didn’t pay full price. Around $700 is a fair price IMO. It comes with a lot of accessories.

673C0704-C26C-4E9B-863E-7C1AF4A41342.png

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 42
Thats what i needed, regarding the se846 info. Ive been looking them for a long time, but got the feeling they are not what im looking for my main listening IEM. Definitely worth experimenting with, if a good deal comes around (and extra cash falls from the sky :) ). For now, i have to make a single decission, for a good all-rounder, slighly bass/treble boosted, fun to listen for rock and metal. Ill start checking out your suggestions from the top. I realised i realy like E50 sound, but would like a much better soundstage and bit more of bass/treble. Will keep reading till i make a decission.
Btw, thanx for all the great info you've provided. I really appreciate it :)

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 42
FWIW if you were considering a new se846 you might be able to find secondhand Andromeda at a similar price- though I'm not sure what used markets are like in europe (check out Hifishark, might be able to get a some idea there), also no customer support in that case.

Personally I like Sony N3 in <$1000 range, but don't listen to a lot of metal and am not familiar with current IEMs nor the E50, so I am hesitant to recommend anything in particular. I consider the FDX1 (mine are DIY mod FD01) and Drop Plus (w/ IEMatch) good values as well.

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 42
westone W40 or any westone for that matter, is the most comfy universal IEM I have used. I went on a 19 hours flight with it.

Shure 846 is a tad big, and I pick comfort over SQ any day of the week.

Jun 8, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #14 of 42
Dobro Jutro!

I think @IEMusic made some good recommendations for balanced to slightly brighter IEMs.

I am personally a huge fan of the JVC FD02/FD02/FDX1 IEMs, have been using a modded FD02 for more than a year as my main IEM, despite having bought a number of more expensive other IEMs, I still keep coming back to them.
You need to "tinker" a bit to get the sound you like, but then they are extremely versatile, smooth, detailed and IMO also extended both in bass and treble. Treble is more silky smooth than aggressive or sparkly, because they have no strong peaks in the frequency response.

The IEM currently most hyped is maybe the Moondrop Blessing 2, which should suit your preference also very well, and has been named as price breaker competing with $1000 IEMs at a price of $320...350.
I am still waiting for mine to be shipped, but if you look into this consider that they are big and have a big nozzle, so it might be difficult to get a good fit. If you have big ears and ear canals they'd be a good option.
Some may also show up used if people buy them and can't get a good fit or the signature is not for them.

Andromeda....I have only briefly listened to it, but I am coming across more opionins now somehow questioning their legendary status.
The good thing is that prices for used ones are coming down and you might get some for around €650 where they could be a good option that you can also sell if you don't like them.

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #15 of 42
Dobar dan :)

Thank you for your suggesion.
Im on the hunt for Andros, but if they cant be found for a very good deal, i think ill pass them.

Ill deifinitely check out the Moondrop you suggested, although my ears are not very big, so ill have to take that in mind.

Currently, im focused on DUNU DK-3001 PRO (or even DK 2001), cause i think the signature is fine for me, they are in my price range, and seem to be comfortable enough. Do you know how these Moondrops compare to DUNU i just listed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back