Need help for Hifiman HE-1000 Pairing.
Jun 14, 2017 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Zhiliang2929

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I need help in recommendations for either a desktop amp (preferably balanced) and/or a DAC that would pair well with the HE-1000.

Am currently using Tidal as my source to Chord Mojo as DAC to Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 balanced out with Wywire Red Series to the headphone.

My listening preference are Classical - 70%, Vocals - 20% and Jazz - 10%.

Somehow felt the current pairing is not the ideal one. Would have wanted more transparency and lesser of the slightly dark hue... plus more dynamic range, more emotional...

Any recommendations that wouldn't break the bank?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 3
Assuming you are talking about the HE1000 V1, I found that it pairs better with rather analytical solid state amps since the headphone itself is on the softer side.

Among the amps I have on hand, the Auralic Taurus MK2, the Mjolnir 2 with LISST but even the IDSD Micro work pretty well IMO. Having enough juice is of course crucial too.

Before buying any of those I would recommend some testing though, because even with analytical amps a HE1000 V1 will not turn into a Stax or HD800 ...

Best of luck.

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 3
Assuming you are talking about the HE1000 V1, I found that it pairs better with rather analytical solid state amps since the headphone itself is on the softer side.

Among the amps I have on hand, the Auralic Taurus MK2, the Mjolnir 2 with LISST but even the IDSD Micro work pretty well IMO. Having enough juice is of course crucial too.

Before buying any of those I would recommend some testing though, because even with analytical amps a HE1000 V1 will not turn into a Stax or HD800 ...

Best of luck.

Thanks so much for the recommendations. Yes I was indeed referring to the v1. A friend loan it to me back in 2015 and it was with fond memories that I gave it back reluctantly. I was blew away literally even with a portable amp that couldn't even drive it properly.

2 years later, I chanced upon a good deal for the v1 and bought it with that in mind. In between, I had an LCD-3 With the Chord Hugo, the Final Audio Lab 1 and also a entry level Stax.

But now back to the HE-1000, which I am driving with the amp and DAC mentioned above, I expected myself to be wowed. But I guess 2 years is probably a long time and expectations have shifted.

I agreed definitely that it's a little soft and laid back. You put it much better in words for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back