Need help for choosing overear headphones with large soundstage for gaming on pc and listening to music
Jul 31, 2014 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

alpha storm

New Head-Fier
Hi there,
I'm more of a gamer and after that a music fan.
I've one PC with Creative Sound Blaster ZXR sound card.
According to creative's site it can handle headphones up to 600 ohm.
And I know that for gaming there is no card better than creative according to other users' opinion.
For years I've used gaming headset with virtual surround sound.
But after reading some reviews here and there, now I wanna buy one audiophile headphone and use it with my sound card for gaming.
Here is my priorities :

1- Big and large sound stage
2- Nice and worm controled Bass but i love boomy Bass
3- Very very comfortable
4- Beautiful and big ear cups

I've read reviews for 1 month and I've reached here :

Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600 Ohm

Sennheiser HD 800

Sennheiser HD 700

Sennheiser HD 650

HiFiMan HE 500

HIFiMan HE 6

Audeze LCD 2

Audio Technica AD2000

Razer Kraken Forged Edition

In my country I can find Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic with ease but other brands are hard to find.
I know DT990 is fun and has a nice Bass but I don't know how big is its sound stage in compare with HD 800 .
I've understood from reviews that HD 800 is not Bassy buy I don't know how much its Bass is less than DT 990.
I can afford HD 800 but I prefer something cheaper and more fun.
Please don't hesitate to help me because I've one shot and don't wanna buy one set and sitting and thinking for my mistake.
Very thanks in advance for your time and help
Sincerely

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 3
Now we are talking gamer , I think the hd800s will be the best buy 
They will give you the bass , they don't accentuate it but they sure can deliver some good bass , Soundstage is best in class , literally

Your card will not drive 600s at their full potential , my OTL amp hardly drives the 600s with headroom , the hd800s will be powered better , the DT-600s require tons of voltage which SSs have a hard time providing , Planars are a a no for that situation , the card has no voltage for them 

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 3
Have you seen these ratings of headphones for gaming?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-7-9-2014-ultrasone-hfi-15g-added
(scroll down for reviews)
Good thread to seek advice for what to pair with your soundcard, too, for an optimal gaming setup.

Regarding the idea that, with the Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, "there is no card better than creative," that's true. But a Soundblaster Z running to an Audio-GD NFB-11 would be better than the ZXR via optical (the optical signal can carry the virtual surround). So if you are looking for a high end, optimal gaming setup, ask for advice in that thread as well on what external amp/dac combination and headphone suits your budget best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back