Need help fixing background noise from DAC
Mar 10, 2019 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

VocaloidDude

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know whether it's my dac or the computer. The DAC is the Modi 3. The Schiit Wyrd which is called a "decrapifier" which is supposed to clear up this noise does not clear up the noise, and the optic cable doesn't clear it up either. The Wyrd actually makes it worse than the optic cable. It's a static which you can hear most in quiet songs like Alina by Arvo Part, where there is what is supposed to be dead silence interrupted by the static. If you turn up the amp when the music isn't playing you can hear it very distinctly, it's not part of the recording, it's part of the computer's noise.

Both my Rega Brio speaker amp and my Sennheiser HDVA600 headphone amp make the exact same noise, so it's not either of my amps. I don't know what is causing it, but I would like to know because I would very much like no static in my background.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 22
Most likely it is from your PC or even power source. Are the DACs using the same power source? and how do you connect the DACs to your PC?

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 22
Most likely it is from your PC or even power source. Are the DACs using the same power source? and how do you connect the DACs to your PC?
I'm using a schiit modi 3 and it does nothing to eliminate the sound in the signal. I tried playing music out of my Fiio X5 ii and there's 0 noise floor. It can't be hard to make a computer do what a cheaper DAP does. The Schiit Wyrd does nothing to clean up the signal whatsoever. I think my computer's motherboard is just ****ing garbage, it's an old piece of junk. I hate how google has no helpful information about solving this particular issue.

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 22
If I turn up my computer's audio almost all the way it distorts the signal tremendously. What in the hell is wrong with this thing?

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 22
Sometime could be the USB port is making the noise... This is weird... I need sometime to figure this out.

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 22
Were you using the X5 as a Usb Dac?

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 22
When I turn up the volume on my computer all the way it makes the sound super distorted coming through the amplifier.

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 22
Mar 10, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 22
If I turn up my computer's audio almost all the way it distorts the signal tremendously. What in the hell is wrong with this thing?

OS volume at 100% with my amp's actual volume control as master and no problems in my system.

Chances are you might need a noise filter but that's not a guaranteed solution. In one outlet in my house it works easily since I was able to use a lamp power cord to hook up my Bada line filter's ground to one of the window bars. In my bedroom just hooking up the system with a regular, cheap noise filter/surge protector strip to another outlet that is actually closer to the window in the first place actually works better, without having to run a longer wire to get to the window bars.

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 22
I had a similar situation on a new-ish computer....
I did several things and eventually fixed the problem.
Changed USB out
Added iFi iUSB 3.0 Micro (huge improvement over Schiit Eitr)
Upgraded all interconnects and power cables
Added PS Audio Dectet

Each of those helped incrementally,but the one device that helped the most,by far,was the PS Audio Dectet. It was the most boring way since Ive been in this hobby to spend over $1K(all items listed above),but my system now sounds crystal clear.

To be clear,I previously had some kind of 100.00 "power conditioner" in the system prior,but it wasnt until I upgraded to the Dectet that I fixed the issue completely.

Is your computer a laptop? If so do you keep it plugged into the wall when using? Does it make the same noise when running off of the battery?

I would suggest tearing down the system,and trying an entirely different electrical outlet and see if that helps at all,if it doesnt,you might consider a Dectet,or perhaps buying a used computer,have it gone thru by a tech,and use it specifically as a music server,apart from the other computer which would be what you surf the net/work on.

Does the noise worsen/improve depending upon the time of day or night,or does it change when youre not using it for anything other than playing music?

Also try different USB and RCA cables. Often times a dodgy cable can muck things up.

TL;DR exhaust all options to try to isolate the source of the noise to avoid spending cash needlessly.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 22
Mar 10, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 22
What the hell? Now my Schiit Loki makes my speakers cut out whenever it's turned on. Dear god do I ever need better speakers, these things are such garbage.

Mar 10, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 22
I use this thing https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7O0EDQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm really mad about this. I got a new amp, and it revealed a bunch of flaws in my system. I was about to spend 1000 dollars on new speakers, not a bunch of junk to make my ****ty old speakers sound better.

Yeah,thats not going to isolate ground noise,at all. However first you need to be sure that the problem is electrical before dumping a bunch of cash to fix an imaginary issue.
Start the process of elimination by moving the system to a different circuit/outlet.Also see if it improves during certain hours of the day. If either of those help,its probably your electricity,or at least part of the problem.
Try different cables,nothing fancy. Try finding spare cables laying around in a junk drawer. See if that helps.
Try a different source(DAP/record player/CD player) thru the exact same setup. See what works and what doesnt.
It took me over one month. Its a long,frustrating process of trial and elimination.

Mar 10, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 22
I plugged the Modi 3 into my laptop with all the cords still plugged into that power strip. I got the exact same staticy humming noise when I turned the volume up as I did with my desktop setup, exceptI had to turn the volume down even more with the laptop. That's aside from the fact that in order to even get listenable sound I had to turn the system volume almost all the way down. When it's turned up it sounds so distorted you can't even tell what is going on in the music. That probably shouldn't be happening, everyone always says to turn up the volume all the way on your system and down on your audio equipment. Maybe I need a pre-amp, but that costs 50 dollars and I'm cutting it close with these 1000 dollar speakers I'm about to get already.

I should add, I do not get the volume distort on my headphone amp, only on the Brio. I'm thinking I'll definitely want to try a pre-amp with volume knob for these things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back