Need help, first IEM
Apr 6, 2009 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

humpTdumpT

New Head-Fier
I need some recommendations head-fi'ers.

I want an IEM that will compliment my setup and musical preferences. I will be playing it through Sony NWZ > RSA tomahawk.

I listen to alot of pop, rock, and rap/hip hop. Some of the artists include Incubus, linkin park, bjork, weezy, lady gaga, Tv on the radio.

I would say bass, and vocals would be important to me as well as a nice soundstage.

My budget is up to $200, but if I can sell my hd280pro, then I'll add the income from that to my budget.

I would also prefer one that goes over the ear rather then just hang down, but that's not to important.

Some of the IEMs i've been looking into are: Sleek SA6, Ety er-4s. I also thought about the PFEs, but seems like it might lead to problems.

I guess that about sums it up. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 16
I got black PFEs for my first IEMs after hearing a few - such as the Westones UM2, Atrios, Klipsch Custom 1s... Unfortunately neither the SA6 nor the Etys.

I think the PFEs cases of breaking down are quite limited, so you should not see it as a deterrence. I was quite worried seeing the large number of defects after I bought mine, but I've been using them everyday and they are still in good condition.

My music preferences are also pop, rock and hiphop, and I can safely say that Linkin Park sounds really good on the PFEs. Lady Gaga would require the black filters as they sound better with more bass. I used to think that I really liked bass (always love the subwoofers at home) but surprisingly the PFEs have sufficient bass for me. I even tried going back to the grey filters! :)

The bass is very accurate, they don't exaggerate, and its nice and tight. But if you are the boomy bass kinda person, it wouldn't be good to get the PFEs.

However, there's something I realised after getting PFEs, not sure if it helps. My taste in music is starting to shift towards jazz, oldies and songs with instruments ie guitars and violins in the background, cos it just sounds so fantastic - the clarity blows me away :)

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 16
The PFE's sound so much better with an amp. I use the grey filters and they produce some of the best sounding mids that I have heard. Analytical but not over done. The Ety's are the analytical king.

Apr 7, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE7?

Yea I thought about that one, it's a little out my price range. I've also read that it wouldn't benefit much from the amp. I'm leaning more towards the phonaks right now.

Apr 7, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 16
The phonaks sounded amazing with linkin park.
Especially with a good amp like the one you have, you will not be disappointed.
Even if your unit does have defect issues, they have good customer support and tend to immediately ship you a new unit once you notify them of your problem.
One thing, the phonaks do not have a very good soundstage, however, i only used them without an amp, and an amp is said to improve that, I just do not know how much.
However, you can't go wrong with the 14 day money back guarantee.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 16
Anyone else have anything else to contribute? Any SA6 owners who have anything to say?

What would be a better IEM when amped, PFE or er4-s?

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 16
Interestng, I never really compared the two, but my er4p+75ohm resistor did sound good amped. I think I also prefer the p to the s. Soundsig wise, I think I like the PFE more.

I'd avoid the er4s if I were you because of their awful microphonic cable, unless you plan to recable them.

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #13 of 16
If you are looking for a quality bass, how about Atrio M5? They are known for the bass sound.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 16
I got pfe couple months ago, but sold it after using 1 week.
maybe pfe did not like the music I listened to (Jpop), and I amped it but I did not feel any improvement
for $200, I will say um2 is a good choise. good bass, soundstage. As I know, um2 has harsh hiss when you start to use, but the harsh hiss will turn to hiss but not harsh after burning it(it's my exprience). and it also depends on what kind of vocal you listen to. And the hiss sound should come out from ie8, ue10, such kinds of high-end iem as well.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by torres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got pfe couple months ago, but sold it after using 1 week.
maybe pfe did not like the music I listened to (Jpop), and I amped it but I did not feel any improvement
for $200, I will say um2 is a good choise. good bass, soundstage. As I know, um2 has harsh hiss when you start to use, but the harsh hiss will turn to hiss but not harsh after burning it(it's my exprience). and it also depends on what kind of vocal you listen to. And the hiss sound should come out from ie8, ue10, such kinds of high-end iem as well.

Interesting, I like Jpop/Jock with the PFE, but if it didn't work for you, it didn't work for you. Hiss, I experience no hiss with my IE8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back