Need help finding USB DAC/AMP for laptop
Dec 18, 2010 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Obify

New Head-Fier
Hi, i've been a lurker for this site for about a year, but I find myself needing some more experienced advice. 

I currently have a modded KSC-75 , and i've been looking for the best DAC/AMP that I could plug into my laptop through USB to bypass my laptops crappy sound card. I'm trying to buy one for less than $100-120 that could also drive future headphones such as a HD555 or ATH-AD700. I've been looking at the uDAC2-HP as it has a 24-bit/92kHz DAC and also a built in amp. I'm not sure if it's worth getting a USB DAC with 24-bit/92kHz over 16-bit/48kHz. 

I was looking on eBay for USB DACs and I found things such as this: 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ORDO-TA2024-T-AMPl-Amplifier-USB-DAC-TA2024-PCM2704-S-/110575532195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bed0b8a3#ht_4523wt_906
I'm not sure how this compares to the uDac2, if anyone has any info, please tell. 

Thanks for the help! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 7
The uDac2 is a solid product and performer in its price range. On the cheaper side, there's the HotAudio DacDestroyer which runs about $60, though doesn't look as nice and has no volume control. Sonically, I prefer it over the uDac. I've never heard of ORDO, so I can't comment on their stuff.

Just keep reading the forums. There are tons of options out there. Within your price range are also the Firestone Fireye II, Headroom Bithead, Fiio E7, Nuforce Icon Mobile, amoung others.

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm also interested in opinions on this; I've done a lot of reading here but am still unsure whether to go with the FiiO e7, uDac-2, or something else (basically looking for the best usb dac/amp for use on a PC for ~$100 just like OP)

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 7
The most popular options in that price range are Fiio E7 , Headroom BitHead and uDac2, u cant really go wrong with any of them. One advantage with BitHead and E7 is that you can use them as portable amp with your mp3 player when you are not using it as a dac.

24bit or 16bit would only make a difference if you have tracks with that resolution and unsampling, almost everybody uses 16bit tracks.

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks Mr.X. I think I'm going with the E7 since it's portable and can be upgraded with the E9 amp which seems like a very popular combination. I appreciate the response. 

OP: I'm assuming since your a laptop user you want something you can easily carry with you but if it is going to be in one place all the time you could also look into the slightly more expensive Zero DAC and GD-Audio Sparrow which have gotten a lot of favorable reviews for USB Dac/Amps here.They're a little more than I want to spend but no doubt a much better bang for the buck overall if you don't need portability. This is all based on research though, not experience!

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 7
I do download my favorite albums in 24-bit/92kHz, so i think the extra resolution would be handy in my case. Also from what I've researched, if the Bithead is about 30$ more than the uDac2-HP and doesn't support 24-bit/92kHz than I think I'd choose uDac over Bithead. 
When it comes to the E7 vs uDac2 I think it's a pretty close tie and comes down to your needs. In this case I'd choose the uDac2 again because it's more of a dedicated DAC and I heard it can sound better than the E7. Although if i needed to travel with it, I would no doubt select the E7.

I liked AnotherN00b's suggestion of getting the ZeroDAC but that also opened the possiblity of just saving up and investing in a more expensive desktop amp later on. I'm not sure if it'd be worth buying now or waiting till later and buying a more expensive AMP/DAC.

I think the uDac2-HP fits my needs the best so i think I'll stick with it, or maybe think about saving for a 200+ desktop amp. You guys have bought far more equipment than me, would it be worth saving up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back