Need help finding the RIGHT cans
Jun 24, 2008 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Vinnie5

New Head-Fier
Ive been researching for some new phones for a solid 4 days now and am having trouble with finding ones that I am overall happy with. This site has come up alot and I've just made an account just to tap the immense knowledge of your community
smily_headphones1.gif

This is what I am looking for in order of importance:

- Rock/Metal sound quality

- No Amp required to sound good through iPod

- COMFORT (I like the feel of my whole ear being enclosed)

- Priced between $60-$130 (MAY be able to stretch for ones that have all these qualities)

Some options I have been considering at this point include:

- Senn hd555 (good: overall good sound quality, comfort / bad: long cord, needs accessory for the plug on an iPod)

- Grado sr60 (good: BEST for rock/metal / bad: uncomfortable as HELL, everyone can hear your music)

Please note I have only ever owned ****ty headphones and am not have not heard of brands like Grado until this week. I'm looking for some Audiophile guidence here!!

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive been researching for some new phones for a solid 4 days now and am having trouble with finding ones that I am overall happy with. This site has come up alot and I've just made an account just to tap the immense knowledge of your community
smily_headphones1.gif

This is what I am looking for in order of importance:

- Rock/Metal sound quality

- No Amp required to sound good through iPod

- COMFORT (I like the feel of my whole ear being enclosed)

- Priced between $60-$130 (MAY be able to stretch for ones that have all these qualities)

Some options I have been considering at this point include:

- Senn hd555 (good: overall good sound quality, comfort / bad: long cord, needs accessory for the plug on an iPod)

- Grado sr60 (good: BEST for rock/metal / bad: uncomfortable as HELL, everyone can hear your music)

Please note I have only ever owned ****ty headphones and am not have not heard of brands like Grado until this week. I'm looking for some Audiophile guidence here!!

Yes you should buy Grado or alessandro, just choose what price to pay, try to stretch a bit, otherwise you just want to buy a better pair in the near future.

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 15
I to have no problem with the Grados comfort and I am using bowl pads. Some people are just more sensitive to discomfort (wooses) I guess. I was even able to wear ES7's at work all day and everybody bitches about them.

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR60 no question.

used SR225's for sure

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 15
Hopefully, the 4 days of research you've done has been fun and informative--in addition to being a little frustrating.
wink.gif

Of course, it's still possible, even with all your research, that you could choose poorly, just because everyone has a perference in what they like and we don't know much about how you like your music to sound. So, for example, if you like exaggerated bass and a warm sound where the highs are not very bright, you would probably not like the Grado SR60, as it tends to be more "bass accurate" and detailed as opposed to being a bombastic headphone to listen to. It can take a few purchases to find something that really pleases you ergonomically and sonically.

That being said, it's important to purchase your cans from someone who will allow you to return them if they don't sound they way you want them to.

Did you like the way the Grado's that you listened to sound?

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 15
Hopefully, the 4 days of research you've done has been fun and informative--in addition to being a little frustrating.
wink.gif

Of course, it's still possible, even with all your research, that you could choose poorly, just because everyone has a preference in what they like. So, for example, if you like exaggerated bass and a warm sound where the highs are not very bright, you would probably not like the Grado SR60, as it tends to be more "bass accurate" and detailed as opposed to being a bombastic headphone to listen to. It can take a few purchases to find something that really pleases you ergonomically and sonically.

That being said, it's important to purchase your cans from someone who will allow you to return them if they don't sound they way you want them to.

Did you like the way the Grado's that you listened to sound? Can you describe what your ideal sound is?

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 15
Well I don't have a store around me that I can actually try any of these so I am going purely off of reviews and recommendations...

As far as what my ideal sound is - I have no clue
biggrin.gif

I just know that I love listening to metal and rock music and am trying to find headphones that will make it sound great.

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 15
I would say MS1's. BTW for what it is worth the HD555's are also open so people can hear your music. Bowl pads are the deeper pads that have an open center. The foam they are made of is stiffer and has a somewhat abrasive feel to it. Most people feel that there sound is superior to comfies (made of softer foam and no opening in center of pads) but inferior in comfort.

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 15
Goldring DR150, as long as you don't have a big head.

Or you can go Grado. Any of the SR60, SR80, Alessandro MS1 or even a used SR225.

Different Grado models come with different set of stock pads. SR60 come with comfies pads, SR80 come with bowl pads, MS1 comes with comfies pads, and SR225 comes with bowl pads.

In my experience, they sound best with the bowl pads but uncomfortable for longer use. Every 1 hour I have to take them off a few minutes.

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 15
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've owned two SR-60's and fuzzed out or distorted guitars sing through them. Just upgraded to the 225's and loving them too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back