Need Help Finding Some IEMs
Nov 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aaron94

100+ Head-Fier
I need some assistance in finding a couple pairs of IEMs, both for my father and myself.

Ill start with the most important pair. My mother wants me to find a pair of IEMs for my father as a Christmas gift. He plays the guitar alot so I figured he would like a nice pair with wooden housings, which is why I am currently looking at House of Marley - Redemption Song IEMs. 

He has recently clarified with me that he does not really care what they look like, but more importantly that they fit his genres of music as well as stay in his ear. 

The genres he listens to the most are: 

1. Folk
  2. Roots
  3. Bluegrass
  4. Alternative Country

He also recently got an iPhone 5, so IEMs with inline controls would be a plus for him. 

Unfortunately there is also a budget which is anywhere from $80-$130, would possibly be willing to go as high as $150, but staying in the original price range would be optimal.

Secondly I need a new pair of IEMs for myself, my old pair was a set of Skullcandy Titans that gave out. I understand they were not the best but I got them on sale at best buy with a gift card I received for my birthday. 

I just recently got my pair of V-Moda Crossfade LP2s in the mail and really like the way they sound, with the extra bass. Unfortunately, after I get off work everyday I walk about 2 miles or so to my college classes. And the neighborhoods I walk through are not the friendliest, so I do not want to be wearing a rather large and noticeable pair of $200 headphones. 

As with the previous needed pair inline controls for Apple devices will be a plus, as I will be getting a new iPod sometime in the near future. 

Because I already own a pair of V-Moda's I was looking into the Vibrato or True Blood Maker IEMs made by them, but I am surely open to suggestions. 

I mainly listen to:

1. Dubstep
  2. Metal
  3. Rock
  4. Classic Rock
  5. Some Alternative/Pop

So I would like a pair like my LP2s with plenty of bass, but not so much that it drowns out the mids and highs, which I would also like to be fairly balanced if possible. 

This set of IEMs will be going back and forth with me to and from school so a hard case that can fit in my pocket or bag is optimal. 

My budget for these, out of my own pocket, is probably top dollar at $180.

Thank you for your help, and sorry for the text heavy post!

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 6
There is a whole thread that goes over 262 IEMs.  It would be a great place for you to start as it has a lot of the good ones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-263-iems-compared-1964ears-1964-v3-added-11-04-12

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 6
Main issue with that thread is I would have to go over every pair within the budget in order to find anything out about them. That thread also fails to mention what genres the certain pair of IEMs are good for.

I posted a new thread about this hoping someone would already know of some IEMs that fit the criteria, as I seen it before here, many times.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 6
Just realized my last post made me sound like a dick that just wants you guys to do it for me. This is not the case, I know next to nothing about IEMs, which is why that thread would make this quite a bit more difficult, I do not know what Im looking at when I see those reviews and other such content.

So please help me out guys...

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Just realized my last post made me sound like a dick that just wants you guys to do it for me. This is not the case, I know next to nothing about IEMs, which is why that thread would make this quite a bit more difficult, I do not know what Im looking at when I see those reviews and other such content.

So please help me out guys...

No problem man, and no worries.

For the genres you mentioned you want an IEM that is punchy, clean in the treble and midrange, and and well-balanced throughout the spectrum, maybe with some more bass if you like it that way.
How about the ATH CKM500s which are getting some hype right now?  They are said to have good sound all around with excellent bass.
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-CKM500-BK-Headphones-Import/dp/B007S6U14E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
I own the JVC FXT90s and they are very good with a nice warm sound:
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Victor-Headphones-HA-FXT90-Japanese/dp/B004VHAJJU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4
The VSonic GR07s are a very popular IEM that has less bass than the above two:
http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Isolation-Earphones-Earbuds-multiple/dp/B005FDXZJU

I would usually recommend going for a cheaper headphone though.  Here's a  great iem that will sound as good as many more expensive ones:
JVC FX40 - headphones like these make some people throw away other $150 IEMs!
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX40B-Carbon-Nanotube-Coated/dp/B0079LE43W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_cps_1
however these are said to be a little treble-heavy.

I doubt you can go wrong with any of these.  My first recommendation is the FX40 and the CKM500s for your purposes.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 6
The first pair of IEMs like Harmen Kardon AE, Sony EX600, RE0, JVC FX500, Klipsch Image X10, X5 and Custom 3 are great buy under this budget for these genres music and they sound great with guitar base music. Second pair of IEMs with more bass and balanced soundsignature like GR07, Sony XB90EX, Denon C300, MTP Gold, Copper and UE TF10Pro are recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back