Need help finding pair of on-the-go headphones under $55
Apr 9, 2014 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

RabbitEars

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. Ones that are good for either walking around with, being on the subway/bus etc.
So they should not be to huge heavy or uncomfortable.
They do not need to be noise cancelling headphones, but should be able to prevent noise leakage at mid-range volumes fairly well.
For example I have a cheap pair of Rosewill headphones, even at low-medium volumes people around me can hear quite clearly what i am listening to.

If a bit of ambient sound can be heard that is fine, I tend not to crank my headphones especially when out.

If they fold up that is a bonus. Also prefer to have single wire leading the headphones if possible.

Sound quality should be acceptable but does not need to be amazingly good.
Looking for on-ear or over-ear headphones but not in-ear earbuds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 15
I recommend the AKG K518LE (which is a colorful AKG K 81 DJ). It seems to have everything you need.

- Portable
- 150 g
- Noise isolation
- Foldable
- On ear

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 15
  ATH M30 - $39

What's with all the M30 recommendations lately?  
confused_face_2.gif
  I haven't heard it...but I had never seen it mentioned so often before.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 15
What's with all the M30 recommendations lately?  :confused_face_2:   I haven't heard it...but I had never seen it mentioned so often before.

Two reasons:

1. It's a cheaper model with similarities to M50, another common recommendation.

2. The release of the ATH-50x is bringing attention to others in the line.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 15
I recommend the AKG K518LE (which is a colorful AKG K 81 DJ). It seems to have everything you need.

I have a pair of AKG K518s. For around $40, I think they are a good headphone after a little modding with blue tack and duct tape to reduce resonance and dampen the bass a touch. For the same price range--unmodded--I think the JVC HA-S500 is better.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 15
Two reasons:

1. It's a cheaper model with similarities to M50, another common recommendation.

2. The release of the ATH-50x is bringing attention to others in the line.

I think #2 is likely. And it could be a hyped FOTM of the month :)

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 15
If you can rise your budget a bit you should consider Gemini HSR-1000 (69 dollars-Amazon)

This headphones are a top pick in terms of sound (and build) quality at its price point.

Best Luck!

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #10 of 15
Thanks for all the responses.

All of the suggestions look good.

The ATH M30 is nice but probably a little bigger than one I am looking for.
The AKG K518 are also but I want to try for something just a big bigger.

The Gemini's would be the best choice but too expensive. In Canada (where I am), they are closer to $100.

Think I am going to go with the JVC HA-S500, they look right!

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 15
Apr 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 15
Actually went ahead and purchased the cheaper JVC HA-S400 model. (Yes I know the material is not as good, but it looks like a good starter)

This is a really embarrassing noob question.

What is burn in and how does it work? Does playing sound through the headphones actually improve sound quality?

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 15
Actually went ahead and purchased the cheaper JVC HA-S400 model. (Yes I know the material is not as good, but it looks like a good starter)

This is a really embarrassing noob question.

What is burn in and how does it work? Does playing sound through the headphones actually improve sound quality?

See this thread from the last two days: http://www.head-fi.org/t/713905/burn-in

You could certainly ask questions there :)

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 15
Ah cool, you really do learn something new everyday.
Didn't know headphones are like muscles.

That's a good way to think of it. Or that they are mechanical, like a car engine. A dynamic headphone works like a piston. So I believe (some don't) that there is a little break-in that happens when they are new, and then burn-in is just hastening that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back