Need help finding headphones!
Dec 17, 2012 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

phallan

New Head-Fier
Hello! I have been at it for weeks now. Trying to find what headphone would suit me the best. I have narrowed it down to a few that I am about to list below here along with my most vital preferences. Please, do not hesitate to answer as I am in abit of a rush to buy them before xmas :)

1. Monster Inspiration (Passive Noise Cancel)

2. Sennheiser Momentum

3. AKG K551

4. AKG K490 NC

5. Beyerdynamic T50P

6. Audio Technica ATH M50

I want a headphone with a wide sound spectra. I want to be able to listen to my favourite dubstep/house songs with solid and deep bass. But also music like Rise Against (rock) and Kelly Clarkson etc. I've been leaning towards Monster, but as I'm not a huge fan of the overpriced beats-selection I've been hesitant to press order. Sennheiser Momentum has also been on my mind for a while as it seems to have a wide spectra, however here I'm worried that the bass will be too weak and not at all deep.

These are my main prefs;
Wide Sound
Deep Bass
Good highs, mids and lows.
Rather portable as I'll use them at home, but also on trains etc.

Sincerely,
Sebastian

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 2
The momentums go deep - all the way to the bottom deep. But the volume on the lower end doesn't always cut it for that 'sub-woofer-in-your-head' experience. But they do pretty much everything very well with a warm easy-listening smooth sound.
The K551 are rather huge and benefit greatly from an amp. They've also got the biggest sound stage of the bunch.

Add Sony MDR-R1 to the list - they are slightly more bassy and trebly than the Momentums, so should be naturally better for electronic music for most ears. 

Forget the Monsters - for sound quality alone these should be totally avoided. There are better sounding alternatives at around half the price (M50).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back