Need help finding headphones for Orchestral music. ~$100 Price range.
May 31, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #16 of 30
Sorry it took me so long to reply. Not sure of the differences between the two. I guess they would be the same sound quality wise but I can't tell you for sure.

Here is a thread that may help you. It should give you some idea of what to expect from the A700. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/279605/dt770-vs-a700-thoughts

May 31, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #18 of 30
Keep in mind the A700 and AD700 sound completely different. THe A700 is not a closed version of the AD700.  The sound quality is quite a bit worse from what I have read. For around $100 the SRH440 is a goosd closed pair of headphones. Probably the best sounding closed under $100 (at least in terms of overall balance).  They are not too warm nor is there bass overwhelming like some closed headphones tend to be imo.  If you want to spend more the DT250-80 is a great choice, especially for orchestral stuff.

May 31, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #19 of 30
Oh really? I shall look into it right now. If anyone can backup Graphicism on the RX700, feel free to. I'm all for saving money.
I don't know if I really want to go any farther than $130 for a pair of headphones. I really like the idea of being able to hear people through walls in PC games. If the SRH440 can deliver that well like the AD700, then I might consider it.

Edit: I just checked the SRH440, and amazon has them listed for $68. But can they really sound better than the A700s? The more I test out my music, I'm starting to think I prefer Treble the most. I like my songs to sound crystal clear. Bass does play a big factor still though.

May 31, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #20 of 30
it's quite creepy how many posts get started and the thread creator says the same exact thing across all of them. we all did it when we started. for example...

Movies Music Gaming
No nearby store to try them on
Curiosity with open cans

heck, my first post included all of these things. it's like we're being driven by some sort of omnipotent outside force...

May 31, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #21 of 30
Lol I know what you mean. There should be a sticky or wiki. This would have been close to my first post too but I ended up scouring the forums for about a month 3-4 hours a day until I had a good idea of what I wanted.

May 31, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #22 of 30
yeah. people suggest using the search feature however I find this incredibly frustrating. After reading countless threads regarding the same topics I just end up widening my possibilities rather than narrowing them. More suggestions come up, more arguments arise the headphones you were positive you wanted just received a bad review... Lol time to do some more research... At least that was my experience when I first started.

May 31, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #23 of 30
I agree. Making a recommend me thread is probably the best way to go. I was set on the DT880 for a while then I learned about the Ultrasone HFI-780 and Pro 750, Shure 840, Denon D2000, DT990, etc so I had to reevaluate. All the cans on my list I was sure I was going to get at one point or another but after a month or so I ended up flipping a coin between the 780 and D2000. It's really hard to determine what to listen to and what to ignore.

Anyway I'll give op back his thread...

Good luck with your search!

May 31, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #24 of 30
Lol, thank you. I was looking around at other threads too before creating this one, but a lot of people seemed to have different tastes in what they were looking for, and I thought I could find a good headset faster by making my own topic. And now, I don't know what to do! heheh.

May 31, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #25 of 30
I think the reason why these topics are created so often are because no website can give a straight answer. I thought picking a nice headset would be as easy as buying a video card, but is seems that there are no definitive headsets that are obviously better than others for the price. It's so greatly based on preference that noobs like me are just left confused on what to do. If I had the money I would love to buy a bunch of headsets and test them all until I found the right one, but, I can't. Whatever one I get, I'm stuck with.

May 31, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:
I think the reason why these topics are created so often are because no website can give a straight answer. I thought picking a nice headset would be as easy as buying a video card, but is seems that there are no definitive headsets that are obviously better than others for the price. It's so greatly based on preference that noobs like me are just left confused on what to do. If I had the money I would love to buy a bunch of headsets and test them all until I found the right one, but, I can't. Whatever one I get, I'm stuck with.

That's exactly the problem. The newbies (no offense) don't know what kind of sound sig they like. It's really all based on personal preference. I for one like a good bass and nice sparkly highs, mids to me are take them or leave them. Music preference does seem to play a part in what sound sig people enjoy, for me it's mainly trance and the like. So I'd recommend buying them from a place with a liberal return policy. I think Amazon offers 30 days or something like that.

May 31, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #27 of 30
The problem I see with 'what headphone threads' is that they always turn into headphone popularity contests; people suggest only what they have (and rightly so) however what this does is create even more people suggesting the same headphone. In other words you could be suggested the A700 by the majority of responses in the thread, buy the A700 and weeks, months later be recommending this headphone to other new comers. Whats to say this headphone is right for you, sure you will be happy with your new purchase but there might be a better alternative out there for you. Well at the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference, this is something you build by listening to the headphones, not reading reviews. You can get some sense of how a headphone sounds from reviews but you still have to have to a base headphone to be used in comparison; i.e. do you want more/less mids in your next headphone, is it too recessed or forward, bass heavy or light and so on...

...Good luck though. 
wink_face.gif

May 31, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #29 of 30

Quote:
 ....do you want more/less mids in your next headphone, is it too recessed or forward, bass heavy or light and so on...

Hahah, I don't even know what most of this means. Don't know what a good or bad mid sounds like, nor do I know what recessed or forwards sounds are like. That's ok though for now. You are right Napalm. I guess I should just pick a headset, and if I don't like it I'll return it and try something else. I will probably have to pay to have it mailed back though. Hopefully that won't be much. Heheh, doesn't help that I'm such an indecisive person about everything, now I still got to decide what to get.

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #30 of 30
For anyone who stumbles upon this old thread of mine, here's an update - I originally bought the AD700, and used them for a few years. I loved them, although they squeezed my head a little. However at the store where I worked they had the A700s, discounted because of them no longer being manufactured or something, so I ended up getting them, since they were originally recommended by many on this post. I must say, after almost a year of using them, they do sound better than the AD700, and the cup design is more comfortable and less squeezy. Music is more natural and flowing. I noticed that I don't like mids much. I equalized mine down to -12, the lowest it goes, and it sounds amazing.

Also, a friend of mine from work has the Beyerdynamic DT770s, also highly recommended by you guys, which I couldn't try for so long being they are twice as much as the AD700s and whatnot. Those seriously take the best parts of both AD700 and A700, and combine them together. I would totally sell both of my headphones just to get a pair of those, they sound so good.

So yeah, I haven't gotten to test much, but the A700s are wonderful for lots of music listening that I have used them for. They don't rumble with base like some, but the lows still have great clarity to them, and shine in their own way. And the audio doesn't leak nearly as loud as I expected with them being open cans. They are about as quiet as earbuds when others are using them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back