Need Help Finding Earbuds
Apr 2, 2010 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

29a

New Head-Fier
I feel like an idiot asking because of the sheer number of threads addressing this issue, but I haven't found one that lines up to what I'm looking for. I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.

The situation is this... I've been using Sony Fontopia's for a long time and they've crapped out on me every 2-3 months like clockwork. The warranty finally expired, so I'm in the market for new ear buds.

I've always used ear buds like those, and never IEMs. I tried IEMs once but it was an uncomfortable experience, so I'm weary of getting them. I've read the benefits (i.e. keeping the volume at a safer level since they isolate noise), but again, comfort is an issue.

What I'm looking for:
Ear buds with inline volume control
[I've also read things that have said volume control can contribute to an ear bud crapping out, because it's a connection point for the wires, but I really use the volume control all the time]

Budget:
About $100 CDN/USD max

Currently using:
Sony Fontopia http://imgur.com/J8ElA.jpg

Music I listen to:
Varies. Hip-hop, rock, pop rock, classic rock, classical, oldies, ambient

Used for:
Walking to and from work, subway rides, gym/workout

Maybe need to know:
Born about 80% deaf in my right ear (not sure if this is useful, but I figured I'd include as much info as possible)

NOTE: I was considering buying the AKG K315, but bad reviews dissuaded me.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the link.

I noticed the IEM review thread but not that one. I don't recall which IEMs I tried but I recall not really enjoying them.

I would give them a second chance but it seems too expensive to roll the dice on.

Is it worth giving them another chance?

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 6
Just get a cheap pair and if you don't like them take them back.

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 6
If you're looking for something inexpensive that meets your criteria, you could go with either the MX660, MX580, or MX581. You can see some of my thoughts on the MX660 and MX580 here and here. While I enjoy using earbuds while walking, KLS makes a great point about using earbuds on the subway; something that isolates would be preferable for preserving your hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back