Need help finding best headphones/IEMs for hifi edm
Oct 9, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #16 of 20
thx I'm completely new to amps so when he kept talking about coax lines, dsd, and toslink I had no idea what he was talking about.

I cant decide between the e10k and e17k, i would like to be able to use them as a dac/amp on my mid 2010 macbook pro as well as my iphone 5s. Ive been seeing that people say the e10k has better sound quality especially in regards to bass but i would like to be able to take the thing with me. Is the e10k any more inconvenient to bring than a phone. what are the differences in features, im so confused and lost, i just dont know which amp to get, ive seen some people saying that you cant connect the e10k to a phone.

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #17 of 20
one more question, while the main intent for these headphones is for pleasure would these also work for mixing/mastering (im not a professional by any means but would these headphones work for some amateur mixing and mastering and making tracks for fun)?

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #18 of 20
The e17k Alpen 2 would be better if you are looking to go portable as it has battery power and you won't run into "this device draws too much power" warning on mobile devices.  The X2 would be ok at mixing/mastering but you really want a neutral headphone (no emphasis to any one particular frequency) in that capacity.  The X2 has a bump in the bass frequencies and a couple of spikes in the treble that would lead me to be believe it would be suited to mastering than mixing but not especially suited to either.  Professional headphones often do well in the consumer market, this is not so true taking a consumer designed headphone an applying it to the professional arena.

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #19 of 20
ive been googling for a while now and found a bunch of threads on the e17 but i cant find one for the e17k. Can i use the e17k as an amp and dac for my iphone 5s, and if so what cables do i need.  Also if i am using the e17k with the micro usb cable to attach to my macbook pro mid 2010 will it act as a amp and dac?

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #20 of 20
  ive been googling for a while now and found a bunch of threads on the e17 but i cant find one for the e17k. Can i use the e17k as an amp and dac for my iphone 5s, and if so what cables do i need.  Also if i am using the e17k with the micro usb cable to attach to my macbook pro mid 2010 will it act as a amp and dac?

macbook - usb to micro - will work as a DAC/amp but I'm not a mac guy so I can't give you exact screens to select it as your audio device 

Iphone - lightning to micro usb - will work as DAC/amp - I only use OTG with Android so again can't give specifics here.  

The E17 is just an older generation, the same steps/cables should work fine with the E17K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back