Need help finding best headphones/IEMs for hifi edm
Oct 8, 2015 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Bedroomdj

New Head-Fier
Edit: I'm asking because when I did a Google search and used the tools I couldn't find anything in the last 6 months on this topic if you do know of one plz post the link

Hi guys,

So as the title says im looking for either headphones or iem's i cant decide which i would rather have.  I currently have shure se215 and they work fine for out and about, working out running etc, but for when i want to enjoy some music i want some higher quality stuff.  Im not sure nor knowledgeable in the world of IEMs but i believe they would be a good jack of all trades.  Im currently looking at the beyerdynamic custom one plus headphones as it is supposed to have good highs and mids yet still give me the bass im looking for in edm, mainly electro/big room/progressive house as well as some dirty dutch.  I had a pair of v moda crossfade lp's but one of the drivers stopped playing (still not sure why) and they had amazing bass, although the mids were a bit recessed and the highs were, well, weak.  I have a $300 budget with a cap of about $400 for the headphones/IEMs and any necessary accessories (dac's/amps).  The reason why i started considering the IEMs is that they generally dont need amps as they have such low impedance, but as far as i understand headphones have better sound quality.

do i want close back or open back (i know that generally close backs have better isolation but what about sound quality)?

I know nothing about dac's and amps but i will be using either my mid 2010 macbook pro or my iphone to power whatever i buy
so if you give me a  suggestion that requires an amp or dac please let me know which you think i should get.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 20
You looking for CIEM's or just standard IEM's?  While I would not consider them super bass headphones I really like the Westone W30's for standard IEM's.  They are at the upper end of your price range but I was blown away on not only the amount of sound but also quality compared to the se215's.  They have a lot more bass than I expected but still have a great overall balance.  They seem to also get a lot of decent reviews as long as you buy them from an authorized reseller.  Outside of that I would say check out some of the stuff on THL..  http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/#.  There are some very highly rated IEM's for very reasonable on there.    

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 20
  Thx for the suggestions these look promising, but i cant seem to find a seller of this model.

also how does the whole custom fit work, like how do they "measure" my ear?

W30's are not custom fit unless you consider having a dozen different foam or silicone plugs to go in your ears "custom fit".   No impressions are required.  However, they do fit well.    Crutchfield is an authorized reseller and they have them in stock.  

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 20
  im new to iems so not sure how they measure my ear?

You won't need your ear measured because they are not custom in ear monitors (CIEM).  With CIEM's there are a couple ways to do it but the easiest would be to go to an audiologist and have them take an impression.  You would then send that impression to the lab of the CIEM manufacturer.   Check out Noble Audio or 1964 ears for a quality CIEM.  However, they are $500 and up.  

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 20
I can't speak about custom IEMs but the best jack of all trades IEM I've tried to date is the Westone W30. Stellar sound, detachable cables and great comfort.

That being said, they will have less bass than the se215 and the Crossfades.

If you will be listening mostly to electronic music (I hate calling it EDM) I would recommend something with a dynamic driver for the bass and a v-shaped signature like the Dunu DN1000 or the lower end VSonic models. There just isn't enough detail in most electronic music (especially more modern genres) to justify spending the money on a balanced sounding BA-only IEM. Trust me I know - more than half my music collection is electronic.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 20
  I can't speak about custom IEMs but the best jack of all trades IEM I've tried to date is the Westone W30. Stellar sound, detachable cables and great comfort.

That being said, they will have less bass than the se215 and the Crossfades.

If you will be listening mostly to electronic music (I hate calling it EDM) I would recommend something with a dynamic driver for the bass and a v-shaped signature like the Dunu DN1000 or the lower end VSonic models. There just isn't enough detail in most electronic music (especially more modern genres) to justify spending the money on a balanced sounding BA-only IEM. Trust me I know - more than half my music collection is electronic.

im not just looking for IEMs its just that they dont necessarily need amps, if you guys have suggestions for headphones please tell me, but if they need an amp remember my budget, but that is a good point about the detail though, but i can definitely hear a difference between muddy slow bass and clean quick bass.  I do listen to rock and rap sometimes as well.
also what does ba mean

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 20
  im not just looking for IEMs its just that they dont necessarily need amps, if you guys have suggestions for headphones please tell me, but if they need an amp remember my budget, but that is a good point about the detail though, but i can definitely hear a difference between muddy slow bass and clean quick bass.  I do listen to rock and rap sometimes as well.
also what does ba mean

BA = Balanced armature - it's a type of in-ear driver that is typically quite fast and detailed but lacks extension on the bass and treble extremes.
Dynamic - "traditional" driver type (think most home speakers) - typically better at extension and bass impact, lack the "speed" and can lag in clarity behind the BA counterparts.
Hybrid - a combination of the two styles, typically 1 dynamic bass driver and one or more BA drivers (mids/highs).

All BA earphones are typically sealed and provide better isolation

Dynamic and hybrid based earphones typically have a vent or port somewhere giving less isolation from the outside world but can help with a more realistic soundstage and imaging.

Different strokes for different folks...

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 20
  BA = Balanced armature - it's a type of in-ear driver that is typically quite fast and detailed but lacks extension on the bass and treble extremes.
Dynamic - "traditional" driver type (think most home speakers) - typically better at extension and bass impact, lack the "speed" and can lag in clarity behind the BA counterparts.
Hybrid - a combination of the two styles, typically 1 dynamic bass driver and one or more BA drivers (mids/highs).

All BA earphones are typically sealed and provide better isolation

Dynamic and hybrid based earphones typically have a vent or port somewhere giving less isolation from the outside world but can help with a more realistic soundstage and imaging.

Different strokes for different folks...

thx for the info, btw do you have any suggestions of IEMs or headphone setups for a budget of $300 with a cap at $400

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #11 of 20
Open Headphones - Phillips X2 - best thing under $500 - natural sounding with good bass, don't really do any thing wrong and does lots of things right.  Super easy to drive

IEM's I own - Sony MDR-7550 - amazing bass extension, neutral sound with a slightly rolled off treble - not very isolating.  Should be $230 or so on sale/clearance

IEM's I'm interested in but haven't heard:

Dunu DN2000J and DN2000 - former is "brighter" with less of a v-shape than the DN2000 both have outstanding reputation and are thrown in the ring with IEM's costing over $500

Audio-Technica ATH-IM03 - supposed to be very musical and coherent sounding, run $260-$300

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 20
  Open Headphones - Phillips X2 - best thing under $500 - natural sounding with good bass, don't really do any thing wrong and does lots of things right.  Super easy to drive

IEM's I own - Sony MDR-7550 - amazing bass extension, neutral sound with a slightly rolled off treble - not very isolating.  Should be $230 or so on sale/clearance

IEM's I'm interested in but haven't heard:

Dunu DN2000J and DN2000 - former is "brighter" with less of a v-shape than the DN2000 both have outstanding reputation and are thrown in the ring with IEM's costing over $500

Audio-Technica ATH-IM03 - supposed to be very musical and coherent sounding, run $260-$300

thx one clarifying thing do u mean that the dn2000 compete with $500+ IEMs

Notice: would closed headphones be better for a punchy booming bass, that is still fast and controlled than IEMs, cuz my shure 215s are pretty solid as far as IEM and i think i would like a full size headphones if they can do the above better.  I guess its a question of is the IEM driver despite being IN your ear as good if not better or worse than headphones which play ON your ear.

edit: just looked up the x2's and they have an imedance of 30 ohms, AROUND WHAT IMPEDANCE IS A AMP NECESSARY thx

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #13 of 20
If i get the phillips x2, on amazon they are $290 that leaves me $110 at the most to buy an amp, is that necessary is it helpful should i even consider an amp or just completely forget the idea.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #14 of 20
Not necessary but would be beneficial.  A good "starter" system would be the FiiO E10k (if wanting desktop/home use only) or the FiiO e17k Alpen 2 (currently $12 above your budget but worth the stretch) if you wanted portability as well.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #15 of 20
  thx one clarifying thing do u mean that the dn2000 compete with $500+ IEMs

Notice: would closed headphones be better for a punchy booming bass, that is still fast and controlled than IEMs, cuz my shure 215s are pretty solid as far as IEM and i think i would like a full size headphones if they can do the above better.  I guess its a question of is the IEM driver despite being IN your ear as good if not better or worse than headphones which play ON your ear.

edit: just looked up the x2's and they have an imedance of 30 ohms, AROUND WHAT IMPEDANCE IS A AMP NECESSARY thx

What cans usually do better than IEMs is the soundstage and natural sound. The tradeoff is obviously portability. Open designs also improve sounstage and airyness of the sound but cancel out less noise. You can find good bass with either design and size. It's a matter of what tradeoffs you want to make.

On the amp question with a 30ohm impedance you should be good without an amp, even though some models benefit from an amp regardless. Depends on your source too. A lot comes down to trial and error because there are many factors involved and we all have unique tastes.

Lastly DN2000 will have less bass quantity than DN1000 but will sound more refined and balanced. For EDM I would prefer the DN1000. For everything else - the 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back