Need help finding an open back headphone!
Jan 2, 2012 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

WaLaoEh

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking of buying the HD 598s.
Would be using with iPod Touch 4th Gen amped.( maybe a fiio E17) and also my PC to play BF3 and listen to some music too!

I would like a wide soundstage, good separation ,life like sound, immersive experience, light and tight bass, and good timbre. 
I listen to Katy Perry, Daughtry, Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez... Demi Lovato...Maroon 5 and Kelly Clarkson...etc.etc.etc...

How would these perform while playing BF3?

Is there any other options available? ( preferably cheaper. xD ) 

Thanks in advance! :D

Jan 2, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 18
bump! 

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 18
no one can help? :/

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 18
bump! 

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 18
someone help pls! :/

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 18
Well, these are cheap, don't require an amp, great soundstage, open cans, only drawback is sound leakage........ Mainly preferred for home use. If u want closed cans for mobile use, get an m50 with a fiio e7 amp

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 18
The soundstage on Grados is far from big. It gives the listener the feeling of being with the band on stage as opposed to sitting in the audience, first or second row. I personally like that type of presentation, but a lot of people aren't that keen on it. Another big stumbling block with Grados are their comfort. For some they work, for some they don't. Only way to know is to try them out for yourself. As shlok1993 had said, Grados midrange suits rock very well, but there isn't a whole lot of sub bass present, so hip-hop and other styles of bass centered music aren't well suited for these cans, IMHO. And yes, Grados are open backed and leak a fair amount of sound, but because of their open design, they sound airy and open with a good amount of clarity. If you go Grado, I suggest SR225i. Very good set of cans. 

That's my 2 cents. 

Viking. 

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #12 of 18
HD598 and some grado (the ones I had or could have) are very differents. HD598 is much more for easy listening. Sr325is for example is an excellent headphone with rock but become hard to endure more than 2hours imo.

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 18
I just orderd the Sennheiser HD 598 and got them on Sat. It is now Mon so I have had them only three days. I must say These HPs WOWed me out of the box. They sound really good, great sound stage, detailed sound, I looked around and read alot of reviews on Grado, AKG and others and seemed to always come back to these Sennheiser HPs. Even when not useing them I have been keeping music running through them to quiken the burnin process.  I have already noticed a sweeter warmer sound comming from them from giving them some burn in. I have not Demo ed any other HP so I cant say if this HP is the best in price, butt I am not at all Disapointed in them. I have been wearing them hours a day and I love them!! Get your self a pair.
Oh and on a side note. I have a Ipod classic 160G with a E6 to amp up the Ipod useing Klipsh S4 HPs for on the go. I tried the Sennheiser 598s through my Ipod and E6 and it sounds good. If you want to be wowed def hook these up to a Reciever. I have a Onyko SR707 and they sound so much more amazing through it then through the ipod and the E6.

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #14 of 18
I have Grado sr80i 
akg 240 studios 
akg q701s

they are all open back and sound amazing . 

In my opinion k240<Sr80i<q701

They are all great tho just depends on your price range. first 2 cost 100 bucks each last cost 250

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
I just orderd the Sennheiser HD 598 and got them on Sat. It is now Mon so I have had them only three days. I must say These HPs WOWed me out of the box. They sound really good, great sound stage, detailed sound, I looked around and read alot of reviews on Grado, AKG and others and seemed to always come back to these Sennheiser HPs. Even when not useing them I have been keeping music running through them to quiken the burnin process.  I have already noticed a sweeter warmer sound comming from them from giving them some burn in. I have not Demo ed any other HP so I cant say if this HP is the best in price, butt I am not at all Disapointed in them. I have been wearing them hours a day and I love them!! Get your self a pair.
Oh and on a side note. I have a Ipod classic 160G with a E6 to amp up the Ipod useing Klipsh S4 HPs for on the go. I tried the Sennheiser 598s through my Ipod and E6 and it sounds good. If you want to be wowed def hook these up to a Reciever. I have a Onyko SR707 and they sound so much more amazing through it then through the ipod and the E6.

Do you have the iPod hooked up to the Onkyo? 
Or are you using some other source such as a CD player?

Also - is the Onkyo 707 a recent model?

I'm interested in this because if you have the iPod hooked into the Onkyo with a Y cable, and your
amp is the one built into the Onkyo,  then it appears that the Onkyo's headphone amp is 'much
more amazing' than the E6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back