Need help finding an inexpensive over-ear closed headphone (it's a gift)
Dec 1, 2014 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Hi all,

I need some help and I'm having some trouble with this one.

I have a coworker who is looking for some closed headphones to wear while working.  She doesn't want to spend a lot, and they need to be easy enough to drive that an iPhone will suffice as a source/amp.

I recommended one of my favorites, the AKG K81DJ...but they don't work well apparently if one wears earrings (they are pushing the stud into her neck).  Apparently what she needs is an over-ear model that is lightweight, closed, and comfortable to wear (ie doesn't poke her in the neck if she's wearing earrings).  Well, when it comes to inexpensive, closed, over-ear cans...I'm about out of ideas.

Since I was the dope who recommended these last ones that she bought that didn't work out, I'd like to give her a suitable replacement as a gift.  I'd like to spend at most $75.

So....

1. Over ear
  2. Closed
  3. Easy to drive
  4. Won't poke if wearing earrings
  5. Less than $75

Any suggestions?

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 7
HD429-S, Sony MDR-V6, MDR-7506. The Sonys come with coiled cables unfortunately. All those things are actually pretty hard to find in a sub $100 headphone unless you're going to buy Skullcandy. Haha I would go with the HD429-S ("for smartphone and tablet").

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 7
The Sennheiser HD429-S looks like a very interesting option...thanks for weighing in.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back