Need help finding an amplifier for some HE-400's
Sep 30, 2014 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Airwolf

Head-Fier
I have a JDS O2 amp that I have been pairing with a Sound Blaster Recon 3D through the 600 ohm port on the card.  One of the NJM4556A op-amps blew out and cracked in half.  I posted about this in the amp forum (http://www.head-fi.org/t/736374/jds-o2-blew-an-op-amp-pic-inside-question-regarding-replacement).  After being contacted by a very helpful person on another forum, I was made aware that the HE-400's are basically doubling the rated power output of the NJM4556A op-amps at my listening levels, which is the most likely reason one of them blew.

That whole can of sensitive can of worms aside, it appears that I am in the market for an amp that is better suited to the HE-400's power requirements.  This very nice person, who shall remain un-named, gave me the following advice after some calculations:

What you want to look for is amp rated for what your headphone would require to hit 120dB. That is 4.4Vrms output swing while supplying 127mA of output current, and ideally *continuous* and not just peak.

I honestly don't have a ton of money to spend and was hoping to keep my purchase in the sub $200 range and a used amp is perfectly acceptable to me.  Can anybody recommend an amp that would fulfill these power requirements?  My only other requirement is that it is not a tube-based amp just because it will be hooked up to my computer and I am wanting something that I don't need to worry about warming up and turning off.  If it is more economical, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to using a cheap home theater receiver if it would have absolutely no problems driving the HE-400's.

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 5
See if you can find a used Schiit Asgard 2. I think it would be pretty hard to blow one of those. It's a beast of an amp. LOL

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 5
I emailed Schiit and they said any of their amps should be able to handle this load and specifically said that the specs mentioned are "a trivial requirement for non-op-amp output stages."

I guess I'm in the market for a Asgard 2...

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 5
Ya, the Magni should work too, the Asgard 2 appears to be current limited under 50 ohm loads, whereas the Magni keeps going and is cheaper... But I trust the Schiit guys (nowadays, not always though). If you can spring it, the Asgard 2 should be awesome. Very interesting about your O2, what volume were you listening at and for how long?

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 5
Ya, the Magni should work too, the Asgard 2 appears to be current limited under 50 ohm loads, whereas the Magni keeps going and is cheaper... But I trust the Schiit guys (nowadays, not always though). If you can spring it, the Asgard 2 should be awesome. Very interesting about your O2, what volume were you listening at and for how long?

I actually never turned the volume up over about 50% on the amp and have my volume in Windows 7 set to 40%.  I keep the volume pretty reasonable.  At the time, the amp was on and connected to my computer, but my computer had been idle for probably 12 hours before the op-amp exploded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back