Need help finding amp for Grado RS-2
Jul 25, 2007 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

noobie72

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have the RS-2s with the bowl pads and the E-MU 0404 USB dac/amp combo. I like the wider soundstage the bowls provide over the flats, but with some music the highs are a little too much. I'm looking for a desktop amp under $350 US that will tame the highs and increase the soundstage.

I've read all the threads and it seems like the choices in this price range are:
1) Micro amp - not many reviews with Grado RS-2s
2) Gilmore lite - accents the highs and smaller soundstage?
3) Heed canamp - warmer than the Gilmore lite with bigger soundsage?
4) tube amp?? – mates best with Grados but none in price range?

I would like to hear impressions from people who have actually listened to any of these amps with the RS-2s as well as any other recommendations you may have.

Thanks.

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 14
there's always grado's own ra-1. some also seem to like the eddy current ec/ss (there's one for sale on the forum currently).

Jul 25, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 14
I use a EC/SS. It synergies really well with my RS1s. Craig (the guy who made the amp), is the best. He's very helpful and answers all questions quickly. TTVJ sells them and they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobie72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read all the threads and it seems like the choices in this price range are:
4) tube amp?? – mates best with Grados but none in price range?.

None from Corda serie ?

What about Opera ?
blink.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

4) tube amp?? – mates best with Grados but none in price range?.

None from Corda serie ? they seem to all give a warm sound
rs1smile.gif

What about Opera ?
blink.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the information. I've been reading up on the eddy current ec/ss and it looks like a nice amp. I have a pair of HD 580s too, so I'll have to see if the amp can power these effectively.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there's always grado's own ra-1. some also seem to like the eddy current ec/ss (there's one for sale on the forum currently).

Jul 25, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the information. I've been readig up on the amp and it looks like it may fit my needs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a EC/SS. It synergies really well with my RS1s. Craig (the guy who made the amp), is the best. He's very helpful and answers all questions quickly. TTVJ sells them and they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

Jul 25, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 14
Opera is out of my price range. I'll have to read up on the Arietta, though. Thanks for the information.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None from Corda serie ? they seem to all give a warm sound
rs1smile.gif

What about Opera ?
blink.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 14
Or Aria

Quote:

Opera is out of my price range. I'll have to read up on the Arietta, though. Thanks for the information.

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #12 of 14
Tubes will probably be a last resort for me as I don't find them aesthetically pleasing. I know, it's supposed to be all about the sound, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Darkvoice 336 in your price range. I'm really not deep into head-fi to have heard one, but I think they are generally reviewed well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Darkvoice-336i-H...QQcmdZViewItem

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 14
If you are not in the tube market than you have to check EC/SS amp first. Seems that this particular one is the best match with Grado's, however I never heard one myself.
You can take a look at Firestone Encore, which was pretty good match with my SR225. I have tried with RS1 ( old version ) as well, and the results were very good, but still a bit "dry" sounding, after I tried tubes.
I believe that tubes still the best what you can get for Grado's, but that's me.

Quote:

Tubes will probably be a last resort for me as I don't find them aesthetically pleasing. I know, it's supposed to be all about the sound, but...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back