Need help finding a worthy upgrade from MDR-V6 phones and DAC/Amp suggestions
Jun 20, 2014 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JediGhostdog

New Head-Fier
Hello friends. Recently the left driver went out on my V6's and I sent them in to be refurbished at Sony. When I received the new pair I just haven't been happy with the sound. Maybe they are defective but rather than get another pair I have enough saved to make the jump up the ladder. I am looking for recommendations on a pair of headphones that would be a noticeable difference in quality from the V6. My budget would probably cap at around 3 to $350 give or take. I have done some extensive research looking for a nice pair that has great bass but smooth treble because my ears are extremely sensitive to those sibilant sounds. I don't listen to music very loud because of that sensitivity.  I would be listening to Classic Rock like Zeppelin/pink floyd/Hendrix, Old school Hiphop, Reggae, Blues and other sub genres (except for country and mainstream rap.) I also like to use them for films from my laptop. Models I have been eyeing are the Grado MS-2, Sennheiser HD 600 or 598, Beyer DT 880.I read that Grados can be harsh but that the MS-2 is better in that area. I have researched USb Dac/Amps and have nailed it down to the Dragonfly or Fiio E17. IF the Dragonfly's Dac is that much better than the Fiio's than I would be willing to buy a separate, purely portable amp.  Sorry for the long post and thank you to anyone who can help. Any suggestions on phones or Dac's not listed here are much welcome as well.

Jun 20, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Audio Technica ATH-A900X (used under $150) or ATH-AD900X (new $190) headphones.
Can easy work plugged directly into anything and improve some with a quality DAC/Amp.

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 7
  Ok thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely consider those models. How would you compare these to the Beyerdynamic DT880 250-Ohm headphones?

I do own the DT880s and ATH-A900X (closed) headphones.
I think the A900Xs are good music headphones, lots of "life" to their sound, use them a lot at my computer.
Where as the DT880s are more what I like to use plugged into my receiver, for TV and movies.
The DT880 are a little on the bright side (treble), which if fine for me, but a few find it a little too bright.
The DT880 really need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier to bring out their best.
Where as the A900X/AD900X are fine plugged straight into anything.

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 7
Awesome thanks. I almost bought the dt 990 pros because they are $145 right now but it seems most people agree they are very bright. It's too bad that thre aren't really places around me that allow headphone auditions.

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 7
AKG K612 Pros fit your budget. I'd describe them as a touch brighter than neutral with a bit extra bass. They do like amplification.

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 7
Ok. Would you recommend the HD 600 or Allesandro Music series 2 in terms of sound quality and smooth trebel? These do reach past 300 but if they are that much better I am willing to make the jump into that territory. Also would the Dragonfly USB DAC be able to drive these and the AKG or would I need a dedicated desktop/portable amplifier. I have also been looking into the 225is, I was able to audition some sr80is and did enjoy them. Thanks alot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back