Need help finding a great pair of headphones!
Sep 25, 2016 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dergan

New Head-Fier
Hey there!

I'm currently seeking "the one". You know, a new pair of cans. Like... headphones, not... nevermind. 

Anyways, I currently have a pair of BeyerDynamic DT 990 Pros at 600 Ohms. 
My Amp is a Schitt Magni Uber 2 hooked up to my DAC via RCA
My DAC is a Schitt Modi Uber 2 hooked up to my PC via Toslink
I use Equalizer APO to EQ.

My headphones can certainly get loud, but something is missing. Mostly, it's bass. I have had these headphones for about a year and sometimes I feel like they are good, and sometimes I feel like they are underwhelming. When I turn up the bass, they rattle or the bass just drowns everything else out. Also, sometimes when I turn them up, and a beat hits, the volume seems to go down for that instant as if the headphones are trying to leap over a bassy obstacle, but simply can't jump that high, and achieve next to nothing. They are often too bright and lack warm mids. I bought them after doing a lot of research, but I don't really have a great audio store where I can test things out to see what I like and what I am looking for. 

What I really want is something that is warm, has deep, deep bass, is very warm yet has very clear highs but not as bright as the DT 990's I currently have. 
I certainly don't want muddy bass, though. Also, the headphones would have to be comfortable, very comfortable. I wear them for very long periods of time.
A long cable is nice. I probably wouldn't go for wireless. And I don't really care what they look like or how big they are. 
Also, where I wear them has like no one else around me, so I don't mind if other people can hear, as I will be alone when wearing them. 
Though, a closed design would probably better suit the bass, no? 

Anyways, I am here humbly seeking the pros to guide me in the right direction with their divine knowledge of things unknown to me, the truth of the headphone. 

I am aiming to spend up to $300.00 but $200.00 is ideal. 

Thank you so much for reading this and providing any help or suggestions! 

Seriously, I have been nothing but frustrated trying to find headphones and I realized that I am simply no good at judging the good from the bad or the right from the wrong. 
For instance, I bought a pair of JVC Real Sound System Z Series HA-SZ2000's and thought they sounded like garbage. No mids, no highs and terrible, muddy bass. 

What have I become? Please send help... or headphones.

Thanks again!

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 8
I own the Magni Uber 2 and its not enough to control the bass of the DT990 600ohm.....so thats part of your problem.

You can get a stronger amp,or get an easier to drive headphone.

You can check Fidelio X2s.Easy to drive,good soundstage,good bass thump and close to your price range

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 8
I second the fidelio x2. You may even want to try the fidelio x1 if cheaper and would still give you the sound you want. Maybe you could find a used pair of fostex th-X00 for $300? But that would be a great deal. 

Sep 29, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 8
I have the Philips X2 and the sound profile is exactly what you are describing. With the holiday season coming up they may drop near $200. Can't go wrong with these headphones. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back