Need help finding a good replacement IEM for Monster Turbines <$100
Jul 17, 2013 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zekare

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

So I have using these amazing forums to check out headphones and IEMs for the past year after receiving a pair of Monster Turbines, but I have just joined.  I have found this community to be helpful and kind in helping newbies like me with recommendations and making research easier with detailed reviews.  Now I come before this community to thank you, first of all, and to ask for recommendations for a replacement for my Monster Turbine Pearl IEMs.  I’m just a casual listener without all the amps and stuff; I just have my computer and my iPhone.

To help with narrowing down these recommendations, I am going to go over my preferences along with impressions of my current headphones and IEMs.
I like the warm and sweet sound signature; these IEMs are mostly going to be for the fun factor.  I consider myself a basshead; however, I do not appreciate a bloated bass sound that overpowers the other parts of the spectrum.   I would also like to avoid sibilant highs and recessed mids because I also appreciate being able to listen to clear, crisp detail in mids.  In other words, a close sound signature to the Monster Turbines I am replacing but with a less recessed midrange.  (I know it is hard to find non-recessed mids, but a hard V-shaped sound signature is one I don’t like as much according to the Meelectronics M6.  These will be explained in full in my headphone impressions.)

Because I know music is a great part of the whole headphone gig, these are the genres I listen to the most.  It’s mainly electronic music, but I listen to some rock and pop so the mids are mostly for vocals in those genres.

Electro/Prog House (Zedd, Sound Remedy, Deadmau5)
[Melodic]Dubstep (Singularity, Seven Lions, KillaGraham)
Glitch (The Glitch Mob)
Electro/Funk (Kill Paris, Shook, Tuxedo)
Alternative Rock (Relient K, One Republic)

Headphone Impressions: (This is where I’ll list what I liked and disliked about each pair of headphones I own)

Monster Turbines:  These were my first real headphone buy, and the bass on these blew me away.  As I started to listen to other headphones, I immediately appreciated the bass on these even more, but that is when I noticed what “recessed mids” meant.  I love these headphones, but sometimes I feel like the mids aren’t as crisp or as forward as I would like.
Monoprice 8320:  As a gem of the budget category, I picked these up after doing some research on Head-fi for some good budget earphones.  I never expected I would hear the clarity and crispness of the mids like these made.  Coming from the Monster Turbines, the bass felt lacking.  If I could find an IEM with mids of these and bass of the Turbines, it would be a godsend.
JVC HA-FX35 (Marshmallows): I loved looking into budget headphones after encountering the Monoprice 8320, so I picked these up next.  Not much to say here, Monster Turbines outshined it in every way.
Meelectronics S6 (M6 equivalent):  A famous budget brand on Head-fi, I picked these up on sale to workout with.  The bass doesn’t have as much quantity as the Turbines, but the highs almost became fatiguing for me due to the V-shaped sound signature.
Brainwavz HM3: I wanted to try out over ears, so I started with this one.  The sound signature was nice: tight, punchy bass, clear mids, and smooth highs.  Comfort was a problem.
Panasonic RP-HTF600: After more research into budget over-ears, I found this amazing pair due to reviews from Dsnuts and Malveaux.  Warm and sweet, through and through, and most of all, FUN.  The bass has the right amount of everything, such as quantity, impact, smoothness, and the mids aren’t sacrificed, having a good amount of clarity.  The highs are also smooth without being fatiguing.  After slapping on some velour pads, I use them everytime I am on the computer, which is often.  These are my favorite headphones now, and I want to find an IEM that matches the sound signature of these, if possible. 
Monoprice 8323:  These portable headphones had gotten my attention ever since the Monoprice 8320s, but I use these on the go.  These are also fantastic budget headphones with similar sound signature to the Panasonics, but I like the Panasonics better.

TL;DR
Thanks to the Head-fi community for my budding journey into headphones
Fun IEM with bassy, warm, and sweet sound.  Mids with clarity and not recessed, Highs smooth and not fatiguing
Listen mainly to Electronic/EDM, some Alternative Rock, and some Pop music
Sound signature close to Panasonic RP-HTF600, or Monster Turbines with more forward/clear midrange.

Thank you all in advance!

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hello everyone,

So I have using these amazing forums to check out headphones and IEMs for the past year after receiving a pair of Monster Turbines, but I have just joined.  I have found this community to be helpful and kind in helping newbies like me with recommendations and making research easier with detailed reviews.  Now I come before this community to thank you, first of all, and to ask for recommendations for a replacement for my Monster Turbine Pearl IEMs.  I’m just a casual listener without all the amps and stuff; I just have my computer and my iPhone.

To help with narrowing down these recommendations, I am going to go over my preferences along with impressions of my current headphones and IEMs.
I like the warm and sweet sound signature; these IEMs are mostly going to be for the fun factor.  I consider myself a basshead; however, I do not appreciate a bloated bass sound that overpowers the other parts of the spectrum.   I would also like to avoid sibilant highs and recessed mids because I also appreciate being able to listen to clear, crisp detail in mids.  In other words, a close sound signature to the Monster Turbines I am replacing but with a less recessed midrange.  (I know it is hard to find non-recessed mids, but a hard V-shaped sound signature is one I don’t like as much according to the Meelectronics M6.  These will be explained in full in my headphone impressions.)

Because I know music is a great part of the whole headphone gig, these are the genres I listen to the most.  It’s mainly electronic music, but I listen to some rock and pop so the mids are mostly for vocals in those genres.

Electro/Prog House (Zedd, Sound Remedy, Deadmau5)
[Melodic]Dubstep (Singularity, Seven Lions, KillaGraham)
Glitch (The Glitch Mob)
Electro/Funk (Kill Paris, Shook, Tuxedo)
Alternative Rock (Relient K, One Republic)

Headphone Impressions: (This is where I’ll list what I liked and disliked about each pair of headphones I own)

Monster Turbines:  These were my first real headphone buy, and the bass on these blew me away.  As I started to listen to other headphones, I immediately appreciated the bass on these even more, but that is when I noticed what “recessed mids” meant.  I love these headphones, but sometimes I feel like the mids aren’t as crisp or as forward as I would like.
Monoprice 8320:  As a gem of the budget category, I picked these up after doing some research on Head-fi for some good budget earphones.  I never expected I would hear the clarity and crispness of the mids like these made.  Coming from the Monster Turbines, the bass felt lacking.  If I could find an IEM with mids of these and bass of the Turbines, it would be a godsend.
JVC HA-FX35 (Marshmallows): I loved looking into budget headphones after encountering the Monoprice 8320, so I picked these up next.  Not much to say here, Monster Turbines outshined it in every way.
Meelectronics S6 (M6 equivalent):  A famous budget brand on Head-fi, I picked these up on sale to workout with.  The bass doesn’t have as much quantity as the Turbines, but the highs almost became fatiguing for me due to the V-shaped sound signature.
Brainwavz HM3: I wanted to try out over ears, so I started with this one.  The sound signature was nice: tight, punchy bass, clear mids, and smooth highs.  Comfort was a problem.
Panasonic RP-HTF600: After more research into budget over-ears, I found this amazing pair due to reviews from Dsnuts and Malveaux.  Warm and sweet, through and through, and most of all, FUN.  The bass has the right amount of everything, such as quantity, impact, smoothness, and the mids aren’t sacrificed, having a good amount of clarity.  The highs are also smooth without being fatiguing.  After slapping on some velour pads, I use them everytime I am on the computer, which is often.  These are my favorite headphones now, and I want to find an IEM that matches the sound signature of these, if possible. 
Monoprice 8323:  These portable headphones had gotten my attention ever since the Monoprice 8320s, but I use these on the go.  These are also fantastic budget headphones with similar sound signature to the Panasonics, but I like the Panasonics better.

TL;DR
Thanks to the Head-fi community for my budding journey into headphones
Fun IEM with bassy, warm, and sweet sound.  Mids with clarity and not recessed, Highs smooth and not fatiguing
Listen mainly to Electronic/EDM, some Alternative Rock, and some Pop music
Sound signature close to Panasonic RP-HTF600, or Monster Turbines with more forward/clear midrange.

Thank you all in advance!

Welcome to head-fi!

Have you tried the Klipsch s4?

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 6
No, I have not tried the Klipsch S4, but a little research into it and I found that it might have the sibilance and V-shaped sound signature that I'm trying to avoid.
Thank you for the recommendation!

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Hey all,

I'd like to give you input on the results of my research so far.  If anyone who owns these can give me their impressions or see if they match what I'm looking for, please leave a response.  Any help would be appreciated!

Philips SHE9700 (for a cheap alternative)
Sony MH1C
Sony MDR-XB90EX
Shure SE215
Yamaha EPH-100 (for pushing my budget)

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Hey all,

I'd like to give you input on the results of my research so far.  If anyone who owns these can give me their impressions or see if they match what I'm looking for, please leave a response.  Any help would be appreciated!

Philips SHE9700 (for a cheap alternative)
Sony MH1C
Sony MDR-XB90EX
Shure SE215
Yamaha EPH-100 (for pushing my budget)

Thanks!

Philips SHE9700 (Havent Tried it)
Sony MH1C (Havent Tried it)
Sony MDR-XB90EX (BASS!!)
Shure SE215 (All around #1)
Yamaha EPH-100 (My favorite for rock music)

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Philips SHE9700 (Havent Tried it)
Sony MH1C (Havent Tried it)
Sony MDR-XB90EX (BASS!!)
Shure SE215 (All around #1)
Yamaha EPH-100 (My favorite for rock music)

Thanks for your reply!

Do you think the Yamaha is worth the extra 50 bucks or should I just stay with the safe bet for Shure?
How are the mids for the Sony MDR-XB90EX compared to the Shure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back