Need Help Finding A Good Pair of In-ear Headphones for around $100
Oct 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dyingpie

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I recently had a Bar Mitzvah and someone gave me a pair of UrBeats in-ear headphones. I've known the answer to this for years but I tried out the Beats to see how they were. Truth be told, my $30 iPhone Earpods were way better than them. It had muddy mids, highs, lows, everything. Also it was too bassy for my tastes. Luckily, my friend gave me the receipt so I could return it. So I went to Best Buy and they gave us our money back. I was thinking of buying another pair of in-ear headphones. What I'm looking for is:
-In-ear headphones
-Overall good sound quality
-More flat than fun
-Not too weird looking
-Comfortable
-Enough noise isolation so I can hear my music
-Around $100 or less
Also right now I have the Krk Kns 6400's which I love. I listen to Musical Theater, Rock and Pop. If you can help me find the best in-ear headphones that meet these specifications then that would be great! If there's anything else you need to know then feel free to ask! Thanks!

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 8
Hello!

I extremely like the A-Jays 2! It's an upgrade from Earpods to me and it isolates well. It is however, on the bass heavy side to me. Otherwise, the XBA-1/10s are not bad either. You might as well wait for the release of XBA-H1

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 8
Hey, sorry for the late reply. Would the XBA H1's be good for my music needs? Also I'd like to note i need earphone with a small plug so I can plug it into my ipod with the case. I have had the Shure se215s and ended up returning them for this reason and also the highs weren't very nice (though I only burned them in for a little bit). Anyone else have any suggestions?

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Hey, sorry for the late reply. Would the XBA H1's be good for my music needs? Also I'd like to note i need earphone with a small plug so I can plug it into my ipod with the case. I have had the Shure se215s and ended up returning them for this reason and also the highs weren't very nice (though I only burned them in for a little bit). Anyone else have any suggestions?

The XBA-H1 have yet to be released in some country but I think [I think] Japan is selling it and have heard good stuff about them :)

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 8
Maybe you can consider Vsonic VSD1. They are not flat sounding but it definitely is value for money and sounds pretty sweet for a $40+ IEM!:)
Or if your budget allows it, maybe you can try the RE-400.
The reviews on them are quite good and I personally have one too. Its very neutral and transparent!

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 8
Sorry I haven't replied in so long, so I'm looking for headphones around $100 not under, I should have a different title name :xf_eek:. So I looked into the RE-400's and what it sounds like is they are pretty good but the CKN70s are better. Is this true or not? Are there any other headphones I should consider?

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 8

Sorry I haven't replied in so long, so I'm looking for headphones around $100 not under, I should have a different title name
redface.gif
. So I looked into the RE-400's and what it sounds like is they are pretty good but the CKN70s are better. Is this true or not? Are there any other headphones I should consider?

Perhaps this can help - 
Quote:
But back to these. These are VERY impressive detail-wise. Micro-detail is not yet RE-400 level, but the HiFiMANs have a slight edge from the extra clarity and the overall un-obtrusiveness that the sig provides. They sit somewhere between lush, forward and gooey at times, but can become quite aggressive with the subbass and treble at the snap of a finger. Still not sure how I would categorize the signature. Treble, as mentioned, was much smoother than I'd expected from an AT IEM. Still energetic, make no mistake, and somewhere ~10k there's a slight bump. But not as offensive as previous offerings. I'm still stuck on the details though. These things just do detailing like crazy. Staging, imaging, positioning is average. 

Not much time to listen to them later on, as the RE-400s are temporary and therefore take priority. Also got a pair of Craters yesterday as well, so I need to spend some time with them later. I'll run a couple of tracks through them but not one for burn-in myself, just trying to please the masses. 

One complaint is that the cable is rather stiff, also I hate J-cords and didn't know what I had gotten myself into (much to my horror as I opened the box) :p But in the end I got used to them. The blue shells are still quite pretty. It's a shame I have to put them in my ears while I could've just stared at them all day. In other words they're quite pretty.

Later on I realized that some of the detail was brought by some grain up top, nothing too offensive, but still there. Other than that, nothing has changed from my opinion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back