Need help finding a good pair of headphones in the 100-200 dollar range for gaming, music, and blu-ray movie watching
Nov 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

calarahil

New Head-Fier
As the subject line suggests I'm currently looking for a new pair of headphones to fit my situation. Currently I'm using a Astro A40 5.8 wireless setup which comes with the headset and a mixamp that outputs 70mW 32omhs per channel which I'm not quite sure what this means. I currently use my headphones only on my PC and this would be the case here although if possible I'd like to be able to use them on my tablet but its not a must. I use a soundcard currently on the pc a ASUS Xonar DX but I'm considering getting a ASUS Xonar Essence STX so that I can power higher quality headphones.

What I would like to have with a headphone

1.) Minimal Noise leaking (not entirely closed off to open headphones but I don't want too much sound leaking my personal time is my personal time and no one else needs to hear that.)
2.) Larger Cans: I prefer cans in the 40mm to 50mm range mainly because the cover my ears quite nicely.
3.) Base: Base isn't a huge concern of mine but I don't want something terribly flat I would like something that has maybe some base but not a huge amount. I don't associate quality headphones with base.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 6
The Asus STX, ST, DX, & D1 sound cards use the same CMI8788 audio processor.
Recommend you just get an external headphone amplifier, Schiit Magni or O2, and plug it into the Xonar DX.
The Magni & O2 have some minor advantages over the STX's built in headphone amplifier.

I think the Sennheiser HD558s ($130) are good all around headphones for music, movies and gaming.

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm a little confused with the AMP's that people recommend. I've seen people recommend the FIIO amp I think its called. Would I connect the headphones to the amp and then is their a 3.5mm jack that would connect into my Xonar DX?

I saw the 558's at best buy for under 100 dollars the only thing that concerned me was the open headset portion. Would you say their is complete leaking of sound from something like a 558? And would you put a 558 above a A40?

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 6
  I'm a little confused with the AMP's that people recommend. I've seen people recommend the FIIO amp I think its called. Would I connect the headphones to the amp and then is their a 3.5mm jack that would connect into my Xonar DX?

I saw the 558's at best buy for under 100 dollars the only thing that concerned me was the open headset portion. Would you say their is complete leaking of sound from something like a 558? And would you put a 558 above a A40?

The Xonar DX/D1 is a nice little sound card and the only real negative is that it has no headphone amplifier
and a line-out/headphone jack output impedance of 100-Ohm :frowning2:
So it's good for outputing an analog audio signal, but not that great for amplifyng headphones.
So you would connect the Xonar DX's "front" speaker/headphone output to the line-input on an external headphone amplifier (Magni? or O2? or other?) and plug the headphones into the external head amp.
So the Xonar DX would take care of the Dolby Headphone 7.1 Surround Sound and DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) feature and the external head amplifier would directly drive the headphones.
I like FiiO amplifiers, the E11 ($63) and E12 ($130) headphone amplifier could be used with the Xonar DX
The Magni, O2, E11, E12 all have very low headphone output impedances :) like 1-ohm or less :)
Technically a $27 FiiO E6 could drive the 50-Ohm HD558s.

The HD558s are open so sound passes both ways.
For a headphone for FPS gaming, Surround Sound movies and music, i do not think you could do better, at $130.
The Sennheiser HD5XX series gets good reviews for FPS gaming.
I know zero about how the A40s rank for gaming, so I can't really compare them with the HD558s for gaming.

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 6
The Xonar DX/D1 is a nice little sound card and the only real negative is that it has no headphone amplifier
and a line-out/headphone jack output impedance of 100-Ohm :frowning2:
So it's good for outputing an analog audio signal, but not that great for amplifyng headphones.
So you would connect the Xonar DX's "front" speaker/headphone output to the line-input on an external headphone amplifier (Magni? or O2? or other?) and plug the headphones into the external head amp.
So the Xonar DX would take care of the Dolby Headphone 7.1 Surround Sound and DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) feature and the external head amplifier would directly drive the headphones.
I like FiiO amplifiers, the E11 ($63) and E12 ($130) headphone amplifier could be used with the Xonar DX
The Magni, O2, E11, E12 all have very low headphone output impedances :) like 1-ohm or less :)
Technically a $27 FiiO E6 could drive the 50-Ohm HD558s.
The HD558s are open so sound passes both ways.
For a headphone for FPS gaming, Surround Sound movies and music, i do not think you could do better, at $130.
The Sennheiser HD5XX series gets good reviews for FPS gaming.
I know zero about how the A40s rank for gaming, so I can't really compare them with the HD558s for gaming.

I gotcha well I was looking at the differences freq and power output and though they looked fairly similar the a40 and the hd558. I just looked it appears the A40's are open so I would imagine it wouldn't be a huge deal having them being open. Would you say as with amp's you would go with the magni over the FIIO amps? I would say spending 100 dollars on a amp to keep my sound card would be saving me some money over the alternative of purchasing a Xonar STX.

ASTRO A40​
Frequency Respons​
15 - 28,000 Hz​
Characteristic SPL: ​
104dB
http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-pc-headset/A40-PC-HEADSET-BATTLEFIELD-4.html?dwvar_A40-PC-HEADSET-BATTLEFIELD-4_color=black#start=10

Sennheiser
  1. Frequency response: 15 - 28,000 Hz
  1. Impedance: 50 Ohms
  2. Sound pressure level (SPL): 112 dB
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-504631-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384305881&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+558

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Also to note if their is a way for a person to be credited for best answer I'd give it to you. I thank you for being ever so helpful. I've been a little lost with the audiophile stuff. I wanted something more serious headphone wise with my purchase of the Blue Yeti Microphone I got on sale for 70 dollars a few months back. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back