Need help finding a good DAC for my computer. 150$ budget, may go higher if there is a reason for it(drool factor :-D)
Apr 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Trerit

100+ Head-Fier
Started using my IEM's on my computer and noticed that the realtek on-board card was ***** for that.. There is a hiss that is present on all volume levels when plugged into the front channel out. compared to my iPod gen 4 (running lossless files, EQ set to off. 16-bit, 48kHz is max out.) the lows sound muddy and to loud as if boosted. Didn't bother analysing them any more than that and stopped listening.

Anyways. I have never owned a DAC nor a headphone amp, have no idea what to look for, apart from a few "nice to have" features.

USB/Coax/toslink input
Line out for speakers
Headphone out for my headphones
volume knob.

At the moment I only have a few IEM's but in the future I might invest in some proper headphones. Also if im not mistaken the Coax and optical S/PIDF output on my computer, will using those bypass the realtek DAC? the SQ will not be ruined in anyway by the realtek if I use those?

Regards

David

IEM:
Audio Technica ATH-CK10

Source gear:
iPod gen 4, 64GB

Realtek® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
- DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
- Coaxial and Optical S/PDIF out ports at back panel

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
Anyways. I have never owned a DAC nor a headphone amp, have no idea what to look for, apart from a few "nice to have" features.

USB/Coax/toslink input
Line out for speakers
Headphone out for my headphones
volume knob.

Drooling a bit on a FiiO E10, Has USB input, lineout for speakers, and headphone out + volumeknob.
Just a bit sceptical after reading this http://www.head-fi.org/t/575084/impression-fiio-e10

Especialy the part quoted below, has to be something better I can get than a FiiO E10..

"Out of the four, E10’s line-out sounds the best, followed by D-zero, uDAC, and E7 in the last place. While D-zero and uDAC’s line-out both have wider soundstage than E10, they both lacks texture in the mid and low -especially on uDAC as it is also the brightest among the four. E7 on the other hand sounds more compressed and warm when compared to the other three. While E10 soundstage is only bigger than E7 among the four, it has much better layer and image so it doesn’t sound compressed when compared to the wider sounding uDAC and D-zero. "

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 6

Just to give a push in the right direction, here are the DAC/amps I am considering:

All of these should be an improvement over the Fiio E10.
My budget is $200, so a few of these might be out of your reach, but still worth looking at.

• Fiio E17
  • Audioengine D1
  • Calyx Coffee
  • iBasso D7
  • HRT Headstreamer
  • Arcam rPAC

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 6
If you can let go of the hp out and volume control, the HRT MS2 is highly recommended in 150$.

Else, the nuforce udac 2, audinst hud mx1, Fiio E17 etc tick all your boxes and are in the budget range. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks! Will be reading up on all of them. One of them are probably going to end up on my desk :-D

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 6
As all your currently doing is using IEMs on your computer.
Fiio E10

Or an Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card and Samson SR850 (semi-open) headphones.
Total price would be $64 to $85.
Just keep using your IEMs with the iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back