Need help finding a DAC
Aug 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

VeerK

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

While I don't consider myself an audiophile of the caliber of the community here, I know good sound when I hear it. I've had home theater equipment for years, and I have a music collection of hundreds of FLAC albums, so my discerning ear is trained by the quality of the equipment I have been using.

On to my dilemma, I recently built my own computer with some top notch parts and have been enjoying immensely. However, I prefer to and constantly use headphones as my sound solution, as space and other constraints prevent me from using my HT set-up with my computer. My headphones are the Senneheiser HD 598, and considering that I have to connect it directly to the 3.5mm headphone jack on the back, I have no doubt that the 598's will destroy that jack due to the size and weight of the connector. My solution was to use the SPDIF port which seems a lot more solid and causes me far, far less worry. Thus far, I have been using an Orei DAC that was supposed to be good, but it cannot handle anything but LPCM and has an absolutely horrid buzz when there is no sound blasting that is actually starting to hurt my ears.

TL;DR

My question is: what DAC should I get, and is there anyone that can handle more than just LPCM, so I can watch Blu-ray movies? Also, how much sound quality am I losing by using an external DAC?  I just blew a lot of cash into building my PC for work and play, so I really can't afford an expensive DAC and the Orei was only $30, so anything in that range. For arguments sake, I have a limit of $100. I know a lot about computers, and I am a videophile, but audio is something I never truly delved into for the sake of knowledge alone, so I was hoping you fine folks could help me out :).

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 19
Aug 22, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 19
The more expensive options that would be very good for you are the fiio e17 , e12 or e10, they're great and can be had for very cheap on the for sale forum.  The benefit of these is that they also have amps and will make you're 598s sound even better and they are battery powered/can be used on the go if you ever plan on bringing your cans with you anywhere.

A cheap option I could recommend is the creative sound blaster X-fi GO, I've heard it's pretty neutral and impressive for the price.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 19
I have a 3.5mm plug already, I won't plug it in because it is ever so slightly bigger than the jack so it will destroy the motherboard's analog port, which would probably be the case if I plugged it into the headphone jack of a discrete sound card.

My de facto choice thus far is the Fiio e17, didn't know about the e12 and will look into that one. Thanks for the tips, I will definitely head to the sale forum linglingjr.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 19
My de facto choice thus far is the Fiio e17, didn't know about the e12 and will look into that one. Thanks for the tips, I will definitely head to the sale forum linglingjr.

The E17 is a great deal right now at $109 on Amazon.

And why are you worried about PCM/LPCM? That's what you want: the computer to process the audio into PCM and send it to the external DAC.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 19
Aug 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
The E17 is a great deal right now at $109 on Amazon.

And why are you worried about PCM/LPCM? That's what you want: the computer to process the audio into PCM and send it to the external DAC.

PowerDVD13, which I use to play Blu-rays is incapable of outputting PCM, so all I hear is a vicious sound that could kill a man.

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
PowerDVD13, which I use to play Blu-rays is incapable of outputting PCM, so all I hear is a vicious sound that could kill a man.

I would guess if PowerDVD did not output PCM, it would not work at all.
Guess I need to read up on PowerDVD, something about PowerDVD not outputting PCM does not sound right.

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 19
You need to check out ArcSoft's media theater package.

http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-theatre/tutorial/how-to-set-audio-output.html

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 19
I figured out the way to handle the PCM issue, now I just need a DAC that won't have a buzz in the absence of sound, and doesn't sound as soft (requires an amp?). At this rate, I am choosing between the Fiio D03K and the E17, so is the E17 worth 4 times the price of the D03K?

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 19
I will try the D03K first as 1, you don't really need an amp for the 598; 2, it's cheaper; 3, one less variable for you to test; 4, could be something else causing the buzz.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 19
I think the FiiO D3 is just a DAC, isn't it? You need a DAC/amp combo unit if you want to use your headphones with it, too. A DAC alone won't work for powering those HD598s.

Besides, you already have the OREI DA9, which is an inexpensive DAC. After your experience with it, why buy something even cheaper?

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
I will try the D03K first as 1, you don't really need an amp for the 598; 2, it's cheaper; 3, one less variable for you to test; 4, could be something else causing the buzz.

I honestly have no idea what would cause that faint buzz, it is definitely not any input. The buzz is present at all times, even while playing music, however when the music is loud enough it just drowns out the faint buzz, but with music at low volumes, I can hear both. I know it is just the DAC because with the computer turned off and toslink disconnected, the only thing that will make the buzz/hiss go away is unplugging the power on the DAC.

EDIT: I actually have the Orei DA34.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back