need help finding a certain type of video converter...
Sep 22, 2004 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Geise

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I've been looking for a video converter that can take an analog component signal of 480i and convert it to 480p, and then output it through a vga connector (rgbhv?). So far I've found plenty of transcoder boxes that will convert a progressive hd component signal to a vga signal, but none of them could convert a 480i signal to 480p (which is important to me). I also found one item that would supposedly convert 480i to 480p, but s-video was the best input it had (unacceptable for me
frown.gif
) Sorry if this isn't about audio, but I thought it would be best to ask here since many people here have a good knowledge of converters and the like.

Sep 23, 2004 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm not up on converter boxes, but freely available software such as virtualdub and the like can de-interlace video streams..won't be realtime tho, so don't know if that helps.

besides that, you should maybe consider video editing/capture cards, depending on what you are doing..

why is it that you want to covert video to vga at a better quality than s-video, anyway? Sounds strange...esp as the diferrent gammas/colour spaces are gonna mess up the vga display of the video signal anyway...

Sep 23, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 7
The reason I want to use component is because I want to pretty much use my monitor as sort of an alternative to an hdtv which will also have the adjustability of a monitor. It's a very nice, sizeable monitor, and it has two vga inputs. However, if I'm gonna spend a bunch of cash on a converter box and not be able to display 480i or not be able to use component cables, then what's the point? I might as well buy a pricey hdtv to at least get the full spectrum of connectivity...Also, I'm a real video nut, and I just can't rest at night knowing I'm not using the optimal cable format
biggrin.gif
drminky, you say that there are capture cards..but I need to be able to use my video cards for hard core gaming
smily_headphones1.gif
I know ATI has those all in wonder cards, but I heard they don't give real time response due to some sort of delay (real time is crucial as I will be using the extra connectivity for my ps2 among other consoles). Sorry if I'm so stubborn, but the search for the perfect video solution is an addiction for me..
smily_headphones1.gif
I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a plasma when they become more developed and cheaper. (LCDs are just yuck, and there aren't really any decent hd-crts worth looking at)

Sep 24, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
480i is NTSC quality. You may as well just use a really good looking TV with a component video input instead of a monitor.

That's the problem, TVs like that are way out of my price range, and I already have a monitor. *btw, it doesn't matter now. I just bought an Avermedia tvbox 9, so I'll see what this thing's all about. I may very well have to settle for s-video, unless someone can convince monitor manufacturers that high-def connectivity in a pc monitor would sell like hotcakes
smily_headphones1.gif
Perhaps a possible investment opportunity...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back