Need help finding a better headphone with similar sound sig to the Superlux 668b.
Jan 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

squeakez

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys - I actually thought I was a basshead until I heard these inexpensive Superlux 668bs. I now realize how much more enjoyable it is to hear a more balanced sound signature. I also really enjoy the semi-open aspect which I've never heard before. The only problem is that they aren't very comfortable and are very cheap build-wise. I would like to find a better quality phone ($150-200) that is similar in sound quality. I had recently purchased the Fidelio l1 and returned it because it was too warm and basically unimpressive to me. I have been looking at the HD558 and have no idea if it would be similar to the Superluxes. I also heard good things about the Fidelio X1 but am leary of it because of my experience with the L1.

I listen to mostly EDM, techno, pop and hip hop. Portability is not an issue and neither is sound leakage. I have a Vali/Modi stack and a fiio E07k for amplification and would prefer a phone that is relatively easy to drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 13
How about AKG? These are both used, but seem like pretty good deals to me:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801012737-USE/akg_2458z00250_q701_quincy_jones_signature.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801029639-USE/akg_2458z00100_k612_pro_over_ear_reference.html

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks billybob - I will check these out.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 13
Hey guys - I actually thought I was a basshead until I heard these inexpensive Superlux 668bs. I now realize how much more enjoyable it is to hear a more balanced sound signature. I also really enjoy the semi-open aspect which I've never heard before. The only problem is that they aren't very comfortable and are very cheap build-wise. I would like to find a better quality phone ($150-200) that is similar in sound quality. I had recently purchased the Fidelio l1 and returned it because it was too warm and basically unimpressive to me. I have been looking at the HD558 and have no idea if it would be similar to the Superluxes. I also heard good things about the Fidelio X1 but am leary of it because of my experience with the L1.

I listen to mostly EDM, techno, pop and hip hop. Portability is not an issue and neither is sound leakage. I have a Vali/Modi stack and a fiio E07k for amplification and would prefer a phone that is relatively easy to drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I do like the sound of my Sennheiser HD558 and you can get used ones for $110.
The AKG K612 Pro might be a little better then the HD558s.

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 13
PurpleAngel - I have been checking it out and it sounds very interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 13
TheEndGame - I have considered the dt990 but keep rejecting them because of the sibilant highs. I just got a fiio e07k dac/amp and was wondering if turning the treble down would make them usable? Would that also hold true for the hd558s - adjusting for the reported lack of bass? Thanks.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #9 of 13
OK. That is good to know. I will definitely rethink the dt 990s. Will the E07K be enough to drive them well?

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #10 of 13
Look at the DT 880s too. They are more balanced but I think they cost more.

Yeah I think the E07k would be good enough.

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #11 of 13
OK thanks. I will look at those too. I see that the 880s always get recommended for classical but will they do EDM as well?

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #13 of 13
I have been thinking of throwing the Grado sr80i into the mix for consideration. The 668Bs are decent with EDM but seem better with all my other genres. My Panasonic HTF 600s are amazing with EDM. I received those right around the time I started this thread but I now have almost a week of constant burn in and playing on them and I am really impressed. My goal is to have one pair of open-back phones, one close-backed pair and one semi-open. That should cover it for now. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back