Need help finding a Amp for some desktop speakers...
Oct 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

yeasay

New Head-Fier
Hello All!
So I am very new to the world of high quality audio, but I was looking into getting some nice speakers for my desktop and realized that I was going to need a Amp. Unfortunately I know nothing about Amps...So to begin these are the speakers I am looking at getting  HSU HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speakers. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html I have yet to pick out a Sub. Although I am mainly looking for feed back on a Amp, if anyone has a better suggestion on speakers in the same price range I am open. I really don't have a  clue about the price range for an amp I know most tube amps are well over $1,000, that is not in my price range, considering I am looking at spending only $300 on speakers just be reasonable. Also I am running a small Fiio DAC/amp for my headphones, Can I get this same kind of set up for a bigger amp (plug in with USB)? 
Any impute would be greatly appreciated!!! 

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Hello All!
So I am very new to the world of high quality audio, but I was looking into getting some nice speakers for my desktop and realized that I was going to need a Amp. Unfortunately I know nothing about Amps...So to begin these are the speakers I am looking at getting  HSU HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speakers. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html I have yet to pick out a Sub. Although I am mainly looking for feed back on a Amp, if anyone has a better suggestion on speakers in the same price range I am open. I really don't have a  clue about the price range for an amp I know most tube amps are well over $1,000, that is not in my price range, considering I am looking at spending only $300 on speakers just be reasonable. Also I am running a small Fiio DAC/amp for my headphones, Can I get this same kind of set up for a bigger amp (plug in with USB)? 
Any impute would be greatly appreciated!!! 

Good websites for asking about sub-woofers is AVSforum & AVforum.
Personally I would get a A/V receiver to use a separate speakers and sub-woofer.
Cheapest decent sub-woofer i know of is the Velodyne VX-11 , $170

But check Techbargins for sub-woofers on sale.
http://www.techbargains.com/catsearch.cfm/1_7_1

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 4
The HSU HB-1s are very good speakers for the price. There are comparable choices, but typically not better. If you've decided on them, then no reason to change. 

If your computer has optical out or HDMI out, an entry level home theater receiver can be a good choice because it takes either input. Look for specials on Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, or Pioneer (try Amazon, Crutchfield and Newegg). You can find one for around $200 or a little more. Accessories4less.com also carries factory refurbished/factory warrantied Onkyos and Denons. Those can be a good deal, too. HT receivers are also better for sub integration because of active bass management. 

As far as subs, if you want to shake your room with some bass, the BIC F12 is a good entry level sub. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Personally I would get a A/V receiver to use a separate speakers and sub-woofer.

I was too slow writing my post. You beat me too it 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back