Need help finding a $150 or less headphone
Feb 15, 2016 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Wydz

Head-Fier
I listen to 90% metal and metalcore/hardcore with some mellow stuff with a lot of double pedals and fast riffs and such and the occasional techno or whatever

I'm looking for a closed back over ear setup that I can just plug and go with my 6s Plus and Spotify for when I travel on planes and such

Some I'm considering

V moda lp2
Nvx npt100
M50x
Dt770 32ohm

I'm not a bass head and I don't want a pair of headphones that are all focused on bass

Any help would be appreciated because I'm traveling next Thursday and want to buy asap

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 10
I listen to 90% metal and metalcore/hardcore with some mellow stuff with a lot of double pedals and fast riffs and such and the occasional techno or whatever

I'm looking for a closed back over ear setup that I can just plug and go with my 6s Plus and Spotify for when I travel on planes and such

Some I'm considering

V moda lp2
Nvx npt100
M50x
Dt770 32ohm

I'm not a bass head and I don't want a pair of headphones that are all focused on bass

Any help would be appreciated because I'm traveling next Thursday and want to buy asap

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder (out loud) if you should consider stretching your budget just a bit so you can look at the AKG K545. It has nice (not excessive) bass, good soundstaging, and excellent separation. It is also quite portable. It might meet your needs better than some you have listed for just a little more money. Another I would add in to the mix is the SoundMAGIC HP150--a terrific plug and play can. You should look into these. Lastly, I think the LP2 will have too much bass for you--it is more of an EDM/basshead can, really, IMHO.

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 10
I've heard really good things about the HM5's and the NPT100's or whatever that clone is called from NVX

I just wanna make sure I'm getting something that good vocals, and medium bass for the double pedals and riffs and such

Is there any other recommendations you could throw at me for max of $175?

I've heard good things about the UE6000's too, but again, I have no idea what kind of can they are lol.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 10
I would get the M-100s instead of the LP2s, actually, discard the LP2s, everybody says they are not worth buying compared them to the newest version, the M100s. The explanation is that they work great with modern music, the less voices are involved the better, so, they might suck for genres like jazz,but they would work great with techno for example.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 10
I've traveled with both the DT770 and M50X. While both performed well when powered by my Galaxy S5 and isolated airplane sounds decently, I found myself preferring the M50x for reasons of portability, even though I preferred the sound signature of the DT770. If you find the M50x sound signature offensive then the M40x may be more up your alley, my roommate let me try out his old M40 which sounded more neutral to me. If you have a Guitar Center near you they should have all three of these to let you audition. I ended up getting my DT770s there.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 10
I dont think the M-50Xs would be a good match for rock and electronic music, I dont think you should even consider them as an option.

I concur.  While the M-50X are nice, seem well built, and have good sound, they are bass heavy, but you may like it.   To the OP, you have to go listen or try some of these out.  The M-50X are often available locally so you can see how YOU like the sound.  Some people like rock with a strong bass hit and some types of rock have a bunch of e guitar and high vocals so some bass emphasis is a good thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back