Need help figuring out a temporary Gaming audio solution for apartment
Jun 12, 2009 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thomaskuhn

New Head-Fier
Every once and a while I liked having a game night at our house. The full 7.1 and all...

...But then we sold the house and moved into an apartment. Since all of my speakers stayed with the house, and our apartment has thin walls, I really do not have the option of gaming with the intensity that I am used to. After some thought, I think I want to go the (gaming headphone / headphone + mic) route as a temporary solution.

Here are the requirements:
1. a friend and myself to both have a set of headphones and a microphone.
2. We will both be able to listen to the same audio, preferably with independent volume control.
3. We will be able to talk into the mics and be able too hear each other. This way, we do not have to scream at each other .

I had the equipment to do this (a firepod mixer and 4 channel headphone amp) but silly me packed it up into the VERY BACK of a POD, thus there is no way for me to get it.

So all I have for equipment right now is an Onkyo 705 receiver, plasma TV, XBox, 1 set of Grado Headphones.

I am looking for some way to perform this task. preferably one that is not too expensive. I would be willing to buy some nice gaming headphones. The question is the mixer. I have built amps in the past, and was thinking that I might be able to build a two cmoy amp, with some sort of microphone input / mixer. Is this feasible? Would it be easier to just buy a cheap mixer? Any other options?

Thanks,
Tom

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 5
Sorry, I don't understand. You actually have the equipment you need in storage; why don't you just go there and take everything out, get to your equipment and put everything back. Isn't this cheaper than buying another mixer and headphone amp?

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 5
I would love to try and get the equipment out of storage, but I think that the box I put it into is at the VERY back of the POD storage container. So much stuff is on top of it that I can not even imagine trying to get to that box. It is literally floor to ceiling of boxes and furniture. To make matters worse, I would have to go to the POD warehouse to even get access to it and I wonder what they would think of me unloading everything there.

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 5
Samson S-Amp and S-Mix. 4 channel head amp and 5 channel mixer. $49.00 each. Markertek or Dale Pro Audio. Worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back