Need help figuring out a preamp-type of solution
Mar 15, 2006 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

solbergg

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, so I have been trying to figure out a good solution for my AV rig. I use speakers during the day, but switch to headphones at night due to the fact that I live in an apartment complex. Right now it is a pretty modest setup, but here are the particulars of what I want to do:

1. Run my headphones off of one headphone amp from the various sources without having to constantly switch out cables for each source. The sources are:
DVD, VCR (eventually to be replaced by HTPC), Playstation 2, possibly an sacd player later on.

2. Be able to control volume with a remote. Source switching via remote would be a huge plus, but is not absolutely required.

3. My TV has a few RCA inputs and one S-vid. I would like to run my DVD player and playstation2 through s-vid, but currently I have to disconnect one to run the other. I may just have to suck it up and run the dvd video through RCA, as I don't have the stock ps2 cable anymore and I don't wish to purchase another one. On a tangent note, I was in Best Buy the other day and wanted to purchase a singular RCA video cable, and they didn't have any for sale! My, how the times have changed.

4. The only space I have available in my TV stand is 17.5" wide x 5.75" tall x 16" deep. The depth of a unit can be a little longer, as the stand has an open back, but obviously the height is the major limiter in this particular situation. The TV stand I have is made for flat panels and although my TV isnt one, it still takes up too much width to put any electronics beside it. I thought a solution might be to get another short stand to open up about 8" beneath the TV, but I wasn't able to find such a product.

5. I dont have a full home theater, but instead only a pair of speakers. It would be nice to have the functionality of a receiver to power the speakers and use preouts to the headphone amp, but I doubt a receiver would be able to fit in the space I have available.

A solution may not exist for my problem, but I just wanted to see if any of you thinking types might have an idea of what I can do. Also, if it helps at all, I do have a t-amp to run the speakers, but I would eventually like to run 5 speakers for home theater, but that is at least a year away. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back