Need help ES3 or UE-10 Pro?
Feb 18, 2007 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mojo777

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am taking the leap to have customs made and want the best so I am deciding between the ES3 or the UE-10's. I listen to all genres in lossless or SACD's. While I love my K701's sound, I want something with a closer soundstage that gives me the "WOW I am right in front of the band-factor" everytime I put them on.

They will be amped most of the time but occasionally unamped on the plane or gym. (maybe not the gym, too much sweat for $1000 HP)
eggosmile.gif

thanks

Mo

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 10
Er I dunno if you've been following the threads lately but:

Westone is bring out another 3 way driver custom IEM.

You may want to wait for that and see what people say.

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 10
You might want to replace the ES3 with the new 3 custom. The ES3 are bumped in the mids(for vocals) for on stage use and are not great for normal music listening.

The new Westones may be the better deal than the UE-10 if they are as good as promised and are around $750 as speculated.

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to replace the ES3 with the new 3 custom. The ES3 are bumped in the mids(for vocals) for on stage use and are not great for normal music listening.

The new Westones may be the better deal than the UE-10 if they are as good as promised and are around $750 as speculated.

I Own UE-10's and find them amazing but would also wait for the reviews on the new Westone 3 Customs before making that commitment.

Feb 18, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Own UE-10's and find them amazing but would also wait for the reviews on the new Westone 3 Customs before making that commitment.

I'll patiently wait...like you guys do
etysmile.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 10
i love my UE-10 for really good, analytical listening -- as an audio engineer, i prefer a lot of detail to my listening. i'd think the ES3 would be fantastic for stage monitoring, as the three-way design is made in a way that would accent most monitor mixes. for personal listening, not so much.

i'd wait for some reviews of the new westone 3-way.

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 10
I think westone themselves will tell you not to get the ES3 if you want to listen to music. It is for monitoring.

I think this is somewhat the case with the UE10, that they will often tell you to get the UE5c if you want to listen to music. However, I think the UE10 is much more 'musical' than the ES10.
I think that westone is moving more towards offering general consumer type stuff (the new westone 3) that is more for music and less for professional applications. I think the new custom triple is for this. It sounds like it might be a ways off.

Apr 5, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indygreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think westone themselves will tell you not to get the ES3 if you want to listen to music. It is for monitoring.

I think this is somewhat the case with the UE10, that they will often tell you to get the UE5c if you want to listen to music. However, I think the UE10 is much more 'musical' than the ES10.
I think that westone is moving more towards offering general consumer type stuff (the new westone 3) that is more for music and less for professional applications. I think the new custom triple is for this. It sounds like it might be a ways off.

I agree. Westone intentionally bumped up the midrange frequencies in their ES3 so that musicians could better hear vocals and guitars while on stage. The UE-10 Pro is also designed for monitoring, but does not have any purposeful frequency changes, so listening to music is also extremely enjoyable. The Westone 3 Custom is also something to look at, as others have mentioned, but it is worth noting that there will be no changes in sound between it and the "regular" Westone 3, so depending on your preferences it may not be what you're looking for. (If you want the very best custom IEM).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back