Need help: E4C, UE Super.Fi 5 Pro, UM2?
Jun 20, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by hltheskier
Thanks for all the comments received to date, btw.
Re: the Pro5 (or for others who might respond, the UM2, or E4c):
Do you listen to any 192 kbps MP3 material or digitized radio (e.g., satellite)? Are you finding the Pro5 to have "too much resolution" (best way I can put it) for these lower quality files, rendering some of your music less enoyable?

I figure I will eventually recovert CDs and other music to 320kbps or "lossless" and XM is upgrading their digital sound as we "speak."---but that is in the future. I really had never considered that some of these earphones might be "too good" for my music, but is that possible? Where do I draw the line?

This is a big purchase/splurge for me, so I very much appreciate all the advise I am getting!
confused.gif

well, the super.fi 5 Pro has severe roll off at the high end. The highs are veiled significantly. I think that more so than the shure E5. If you like that sound, then great. It has a very dark presentation to it. The only headphone I have that has kept me from enjoying badly encoded material (128k mp3 or lower bitrate) has been my good etymotic ER4S. It is very revealing.

With the UM2, no problems. It gives good amount of detail, but it is not as extended as the ER4S or even analytical. It is actually a fun phone now that I think of it.

Jun 20, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #17 of 32
If you have treble boost on your ipod, i would recommend the UM2. It sounds just a smidge rolled-off without treble boost and a bit of EQ really makes it shine. Another plus point is that it is ridiculously easy to drive, even from portable players. If you want to get jiving, you could use bass boost, but even without it, they are very bassy (in a good way) which seems to match your requirements well. I also found that using the bi-flange(modded tri-flange) tip really increases the isolation, increases the bass, and brings out a little treble which make it overall even more enjoyable, as opposed to the (very comfortable, but un-durable comply foam tips)

Also, if it makes you feel any better about spending the money, there are places on ebay where you can get the UM2s for just 275 bucks.

IMO they are excellent phones and worth every penny i paid for them. I wouldnt be surprised if this was pretty much "as good as it gets" with universal fit canaphones.

Jun 20, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackreplica
IMO they are excellent phones and worth every penny i paid for them. I wouldnt be surprised if this was pretty much "as good as it gets" with universal fit canaphones.

I think you might be right on, but I still use my ER4S for a variety of music styles including trance.

Jun 20, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #19 of 32
I second what blackreplica said. If you EQ um2 they really shine. I find them very detailed when I EQ them,without EQ they are too bassy for may taste.
I think that I've EQ them to sound close to Ety's but with smashing bas
etysmile.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
well, the super.fi 5 Pro has severe roll off at the high end. The highs are veiled significantly.

I don't know if severe roll off is the correct way to put it, veiled is a bit closer. Severe roll off implies that they stop short and disappear. This really isn't the case. The highs on the Super.Fi 5 Pro are there and they have good extension (as much as any other canal phone I've heard IMO), but the bass and mids get more of an emphasis.

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #22 of 32
If the UMs weren't in the picture at all, but you added the Etymotics ER-4P/S, what would everyone say?

I'm kind of in the same position where "fun" listening + comfort is more important than having something very detailed. I also have mostly lower quality mp3s which is a concern and I haven't decided on a DAP yet, so it makes it even harder.

I can go to 250 for the UE5s, but not to 350 for the UM2 (I want to buy retail so that AMEX coveres them both on refund/product protection).

c

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #23 of 32
Dang Jasper, your tastes are right up my alley. I use and love the 1212m, I love the E5s and Super.fis, And I am currently saving up to buy my own BX8s, but I have a set that I borrow sometimes. My full-size can and amp taste is a bit different, though (Grado 225s/Gilmore Lite).

I got into audio through my interest in music and recording. Being of that background and hearing uncompressed music straight out of the instruments on a regular basis, I understand why the E5s have toned down highs. Because all musicians who used them would be deaf if they let them loose. I think Super.fi was really trying to capture the E5 sound and tap it into the consumer market, because I think they sound near as good for live sound as the E5s.

edit: yikes that was a bit choppy, I'm pretty tired.

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #24 of 32
For what it's worth...

I find that the UM2 is very comfortable and is very well engineered. No other canalphone that I've worn is quite as comfortable - the Shure e5c has a pretty good fit, but the angle at which the sound tube goes into your ear is a bit sharper than the UM2, and it's less comfortable because of that. As far as durability goes, the UM2 does seem to be very well made, though the cord is thin and very flexible. I would imagine that the cord is the weak link, but I haven't seen a canalphone with a very sturdy cord yet.

Also, the UM2 is very unobtrusive due to it's low profile and small cord. It rests almost entirely within your ear, and the cord goes around your ears and down your neck almost like a necklace - there's no need for a shirt clip as you have with the ER-4S, nor is there any tangled mess of wires. The other 2 stick out pretty far out of your ear.

Sonically, the UM2's are pretty good, though they do need higher volumes or good amplification to give good detail. Unamped, they sound nice but are a bit washed out. However, they have a pretty even, balanced presentation (with bi-flanges) without any obvious flaws that have to be circumvented with EQ - like the ER-4P's weak bass or the super.fi's recessed treble. They are smooth and spacious sounding, not overly sharp or compressed.

Jun 21, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
As far as durability goes, the UM2 does seem to be very well made, though the cord is thin and very flexible. I would imagine that the cord is the weak link, but I haven't seen a canalphone with a very sturdy cord yet.

Cord on E3c (probably same with E4c) strikes me as very well designed and made and very well suited, as opposed to Etys cords, to active wearing at the gym and such. It's thick but flexible, with nicely looking reinforced Y junction and connectors. It seems at least on par if not better than cords on my full size cans - K501, SR225 and HD580.

Jun 25, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #26 of 32
I badly wanted to compare thse IEMs and will get to try the E4cs on Monday. But, for all who want to try out the UE Super.fi 5 Pros, the Apple store is now carrying limited supplies of both the Pros and the EB version (both in white). AND, they do allow returns within 14 days!!!! Of course, you will pay $249 plus tax for the Pros, but that's not a bad way to go, if you are unsure. Yes, they do stick out tiny bit more than the E4cs would appear to, but the PROS are pretty small-- the EB version, though is pretty "knobby" and I think would be a little more obvious?

So, I have the weekend with the PROS and thus far I'm pretty impressed! Definitely good bass definition.
lambda.gif

Now, if I could just find a way to try the UM2s!

Jun 25, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Now, if I could just find a way to try the UM2s!

Do you have an AMEX card? AMEX has return protection for 90 days, so if you don't like them, then call AMEX and they will give you your money back.

I might have to go to the apple store and get the Super.Fi to try. I've been debating between the Super.Fi and the e4.

thanks for the info!

c

Jun 25, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

the Apple store is now carrying limited supplies of both the Pros and the EB version (both in white).

Did they have any super.fi accessories? I'm looking to pick up a pack of foamies but shipping on the super.fi site is (more than a bit) steep.

Jun 25, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillC
Did they have any super.fi accessories? I'm looking to pick up a pack of foamies but shipping on the super.fi site is (more than a bit) steep.

No, so far I see Shure models E2c, E3C, and E4c ($300 for the latter), the two UE models, and a bunch of general type earphones, but no tips.

I wonder if the foam tips for the UM2s would fit?

Jun 25, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcheese321
Do you have an AMEX card? AMEX has return protection for 90 days, so if you don't like them, then call AMEX and they will give you your money back.

I might have to go to the apple store and get the Super.Fi to try. I've been debating between the Super.Fi and the e4.

thanks for the info!

c

NO AMEX unfortunately... Maybe I can find someone who does have one and will work a deal with me to buy them..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back