Need Help Driving Sennheiser HD 650
Feb 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JarQin

New Head-Fier
Ok guys, I've had my Sennheisier HD 650s for about 2 months now, I've been using them un-amped and they still sound good, but I want a desktop amp to bring out the full potential. I was looking at the Fiio E9 amp. Is that a good choice for the HD 650s? I've heard Little Dot MK amps are good as they are tubed (don't really know technology behind it), but is there anything like that for >$200?

I have over 115 genres on my computer, so I would like to  the neutrality in the headphones.

And also, will I need to burn them in again after getting an amp?

Thanks.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 5
You didn't need to "burn them in" in the first place - and the E9 will be perfectly fine. I keep mine on "low gain" but I also listen at incredibly low volumes; you'll probably want to try "high gain" (I suspect that levels I consider "moderate" are "extremely low" for most people). 

If you want to spend more, go ahead and spend more, it doesn't get you anything but a smaller balance at the end of the month though.

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 5
You'd want to use something on the neutral-to-bright side for the HD650, because using a warm amp would do not so nice things to the overall sound signature given that the HD650 is already pretty warm. I've used a Yulong U100 for them, it costs around $225 but you get a good DAC and sound quality that isn't too far off from much more expensive amps. If you'd like to try out amping before deciding on a good desktop one, try out the JDS Labs BBcmoy, there's a member here who's been reporting fantastic synergy with his HD600 (which sounds a little similar). Even better for him than his E9.

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 5
I have mine hooked up to the objective 2 amp and it sounds great to me. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 5
I have a HD650 and the FiiO e7/e9 and the combination works great for me. I have been interested in getting an audiophile to audition my set up though, because I've only been "into audio" for about two months, and I've become increasingly curious about the state of my set up. Would it sound as good to an audiophile as it does to me? Curious, indeed.

Coming from an audio newbie, the FiiO e7 + e9 is a great "budget" kit to have, and I have no problems with it - other than the fuzz coming from my right speaker whenever I adjust the volume on the FiiO, which is probably an easy fix. Either way, I have almost nothing to complain about. I would suggest this headphone combination to anyone new to audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back