Need help designing a headphone crossover
Jul 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Hal Rockwell

500+ Head-Fier
I bought the newest headphones from Monoprice out of pure curiosity. They come with a four driver configuration on each side - one woofer and three tweeters. I took them apart and found out that the tweeters are actually come as a single block with two leads - hot and ground and the headphonee measure 32ohm.

I want to design a passive crossover for this headphone but don't know where to start. I made crossover circuits before for regular speakers and there's a ton of info on the subject all over the internet but when it comes to a crossover for headphones I don't even know what should be the crossover frequency in a two driver configuration so any help will be extremely appreciated.

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 2
If i remember right, those headphones have a capacitor as a "crossover" but to properly design a crossover you need the specs on the drivers, if you know the resistance 32 ohms, you can use that in an online crossover calc, and if you find that tiny capacitor and can measure it's value, you can use that to determine what the frequency is that the drivers hand off from low to high end, I would also advise checking the sensitivity at different frequencies of both the tweeters and woofer, then you'll know if you need to attenuate one or the other to make sure the FR response is even. I'll let you know if I find out any specifics for those headphones. Right now all I have is the Monoprice 8323. One  thing to consider is making your own inductors as most any store bought will be made for speakers and be too large with wire that's too large of diameter to be worth the extra space it'll take up. Have you turned your own inductors before or have any way of measuring inductance? If you can, try to find the Fs of the tweeters for the crossover point, I know you can do it with just an amp, resistor, and multimeter for speakers, but I don't think most multimeters can measure the smaller voltages and currents used in headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back