Need help deciding which headphone to buy ($200 limit)
Feb 8, 2012 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Atluu

New Head-Fier

So, I was about to pull the trigger on a HFI 580, but I went into more research about other headphones, and found myself confused to which headphone to buy. I'm looking for a bassy headphone, but not so bassy that it will overwhelm the highs and mids nor cause vibrations throughout the headphone (i think I'm trying to say a tight bass?)

My choices are V-moda LP2, V-moda M80, V-moda V80, and the HFI 580. Other reccomendations are welcome!

I listen to mostly r&b  and rap(Wayne, Rick ross, Drake) ,techno  but also listen to other genres sometimes (Owl City mainly) . I'm also looking for over the ear phones. I will mainly listen to the at home, but sometimes in the car, or on a, airplane.

I will using them with an ipod and computer with a xonar DG, and in the near future, a FiiO E11

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 10
For those genres and your need for isolation, I would go with the HFi-580.

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 10
+1 on the Ultrasones unless you really need style.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
The m80 wouldn't isolate much?

Hmm, I'm not sure how well the M-80 isolates.  It could very isolate as well the HFi-580, though I've read a few users having sound leakage issues, in term of others able to hear the music played.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not sure how well the M-80 isolates.  It could very isolate as well the HFi-580, though I've read a few users having sound leakage issues, in term of others able to hear the music played.

The M-80s aren't supposed to isolate very well. I just ordered them, and consensus is that the vents cause them to be average at isolation at best (which I prefer for safety reasons, but obviously the OP doesn't). Also they should be out because they are supra aural when the OP said he wants circumaural.

The HFI-580s would be a good choice. Another I'd like to add would be Koss Pro DJ100s. Great bass phones, and they are some of the most portable circumaurals there are: crazy lightweight for full-sized circumaurals at 190g and don't have the flying buttress look (space between head and headband) that the HFI-580s have. The only downsides are that the cable is long (which can be alleviated by getting the Tony Bennet version with a detachable cable), which may or not be a big deal since it sounds like OP is mostly using them when just sitting, and that it is pretty amp dependent.

Denon D1100s would also be a decent choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back