Need help deciding what to get!!
Jun 20, 2011 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

drinkmilk54

New Head-Fier

Hey guys,

So, I'm on the market for a pair of new in-ear phones and also over-ear headphones. My budget is $1000 for both sets. 

I will be listening to them through my Cowon D3. Also, will I need an amp or something?

Anyways I have quite a random selection of music that I listen to: Mostly old school rap such as Wu Tang, 2Pac, Biggie, etc. but I also LOVE country music... I know, weird. One thing I don't like is a TON of bass. I still like it to be there, but not pounding my drums out. 

So far I've considered Monster Turbine Pro Coppers and Miles Davis for in-ear (although I'm not only focusing on Monster products) and Sennheiser HD650's for over-ear.

Thanks a lot and I look forward to reading your suggestions!!

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I don't know?! I want them to sound like they were originally meant to sound like..

That statement is of no help at all.

It seems to me like you've got some money to burn, but you don't know what you want from head-fi. So, as Mark asked, what types of cans or IEMs you listened to before?

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 9
From my most recent experience where I have several over ears including t1 and at ad2000 and my new purchase of the um miracle; were I to know what
I know now, I would just get the miracles and skip the on ear. They are amazing straight out of my phone and you can upgrade your source later to bring out the best in them

Also I love the fact that I can listen to them anywhere and have incredible sound

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 9
You are probably looking for something neutral and balanced. Something to take note is the need for amplification for your full-sized headphones - for example if you did go with the HD650, you will likely need a decent amp to drive it which adds to the cost, which is why I prefer to purchase IEMs and full-sized headphones separately.

For IEMs alone I could suggest the usual suspects - SM3, UM3X, Westone 4, Ortofons and whatnot, you are not likely to go wrong with the top tiers, but if you had a better idea of your most preferred kind of sound signature then we can narrow it down for you.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks, well I stated the type of music I listen to.. I do not want too much bass, but I still want to be able to hear the bass of that makes sense. I just don't want the loud booming sounds that some cheap headphones provide. Overall I want a really balanced sound profile.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 9
SM2, Ck100,  DBA02, UM3X, Ortofon e-Q7, Shure 535, Final Audio SB or A1.  all this are Balanced and well rounded IEMs.
Many choices and it is hard to choose but try checking its reviews and see if it matches your dreams

Users who are viewing this thread

Back