Need help deciding what headphones to buy (75-125€, Netherlands)
Jul 14, 2014 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Fluxie

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

I've looked all over (5+ hours) and I haven't found anything definitive. I need some help.

Budget: 75€-125€ I can go over, but I'd prefer to stay there. I live in the Netherlands. (I would've gotten NVX XPT100, but they aren't here :c)
Source: Spotify on laptop and gaming. I listen to mainly (alt)rock, house, DNB and some pop. (I don't have an amp, or things like that)
Preferred: Isolated and over ear, but on ear + a little leakage is okay too. IEMs are an option if there's an IEM perfect for me.
Tonal balance: I would like a warm and bright overall sound with heavy bass.
Past headphones: 
Sennheiser HD201 - Liked it, but after a while it got way too loose and sound quality wasn't all that great.
Sennheiser HD205 - Hated it in the beginning with the very clamping headset, it'd hurt after a while. But after getting used to it and my head shrinking 4 centimeters in width, I really liked them. Although, the jack broke and I started crying. (That was yesterday! Although, Germany won so it's sort of okay.)
Currently using a Philips SHP2000. Can't really describe it in 'correct' terms but it feels a bit empty, the bass isn't really there. Also, I'd prefer to have pleather over the really warm and sweaty foam-stuff on the SHP2000. Also, it's 'really obvious' that the sound is coming out of headphones, which wasn't THAT obvious on the HD205.

What I've looked at:

Denon AH-D11000 / AH-D401
Creative Labs Aurvana Live! / Aurvana Live!2
KRK KNS-8400 / KNS-6400
Sennheiser HD518 and maybe HD558
Sony MDR-V55 / MDR-1R / MDR-V6
Audio Technica M50x / A500 / A700
Superlux HD-681 Evo BK / HD-681
Beyerdynamic COP / DT770

Denons look good but I haven't heard much about them on the forums/Reddit.
Creative Labs Aurvana Live! was recommended multiple times as a budget basshead over-ear with a great soundstage.
I personally looked at the Aurvana Live!2, IMHO a bit expensive. Is it worth the money to upgrade?
KRK KNS-8400 is a bit expensive so I looked at the 6400, are these worth it? Or is there something better?
Sennheiser HD518, not much awesome reviews, but I thought about buying another Sennheiser. HD558 has been recommended to me too, although out of my pricerange, if they're really really good, I can buy them.
I've listened to the MDR-V55 and they weren't particularly heavy on the bass and I didn't like the plastic creaking sounds it makes. Overall okay, but I'd rather buy another HD205 if I had to. I've heard postive stuff about the MDR-1R and I might buy them second hand. Wanted to buy the MDR-V6 too, after my disappointment with the NVX XPT100 not being availible. I found out that these aren't availible either. I hate life.
Here we come down the the 'almighty' M50, it has been recommended all over, but it isn't in my pricerange (M50x is cheaper here and I love the removable cable). And the A700 also has been recommended to me quite a few times, but again, out of my budget so I looked at the A500. If M50x/A700 is really clearly the best option over the rest, I'll probably buy one second hand.
The Superlux is super cheap but has absolutely awesome reviews and comparisons vs. higher priced headphones, if it comes down to M50x or Superlux, I'll definitely be going with the Superlux due to it's sexually-appealing price. I personally listened to the HD-681 and it was quite good, it wasn't perfect for me though, it's IMO hard to describe... it felt a bit dull? 
I've heard lots about Beyerdynamic being awesome in this pricerange and in the higher priceranges, but these are a bit out of my budget.

Thanks in advance,

Simon "Fluxie"

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 2
Search for "MadLustEnvy Gaming Guide" at the top of this page.  Also, you can PM moriez (search for his username at the top, too) and ask him directly, as he is in your country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back