Need Help deciding what Cans to get
Feb 1, 2009 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

wangtox

Head-Fier
I'm looking to expand my current 2 channel rig with a nice set of cans. My current rig consists of

a pair of Canton Vento 820's
Krell Kav - 400i integrated 2 channel
Firestone Fubar II USB Dac w/ THE SUPPLIER upgrade
foobar2k w/ asio4all

i have decided that i would like to use the Cute Beyond headphone amp as i have read it has great range and the ability to drive many sets of headphones without issues. Both my 2 channel rig and my Home theater have the ability to be critical and really give you that punch that is needed for most of the music that i listen too. I mostly listen to sludgy metal and stoner rock , post rock and expermental and ambient works. I will dive into some jazz and classical but not enough to base my decision around my purchase. I have been looking at the Sennheiser HD 600's and they seem to be what im looking for. I looked at the HD 650's but thought that it would be a wasted purchase for my musical tastes. Is there anything else in the price range that i should be looking at? Also i do not like Bright sound at all. I really enjoy dark natural sounding equipment hence the Krell.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 13
I should also add that i have prior experience with head phones but not high end cans. I have always loved Sure IEM's and currently have a pair of e4c's and a pair of e3c's as backup and love them both. I have a few people close to me saying that i should look at the AKG 701's but i see people saying they are not a rock oriented headphone and that they are lacking in low end

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 13
They are lacking in the low end volume wise. They have very quick, detailed bass, but there is not a lot of it. The main time that this comes out is during rock music, where you need pretty strong bass to be heard over all of the mids/highs present. I would say that, if you are looking for rock cans, go for Grado. If you are looking for cans to sound like your e3cs, go for senns (650s probably) or possibly denons (don't have much experience with them, though).

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 13
You don't find that the Grado's are fatigueing? Thats all i can seem to pull up about them both physical comfort and sound wise. Also as far as the Senn 650's am i just waisting money there? Since most of the stuff i listen to does not have the production values of some the more prominent rock genre's

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 13
That is a common problem that people have with them, but they don't bother me in any way. It is very subjective, but I guess that a higher percentage of people find them uncomfortable/bright than do with other cans. Also, if you want to read comments from grado lovers, check out one of the appreciation threads. Either way, I would say that the k701 is just as fatiguing IMO as the rs-1s.

As far as the 650s or rs-1s or anythings go, the quality of your recordings has a huge impact on how good they sound out of the phones (obvious) but in my experience, a good set up will give you a lot of enjoyment from everything you throw at it. I also don't particularly understand why you are worried about wasting money SQ wise with the 650s. Arent you already listening to the same music out of a multi thousand dollar speaker set up?

Either way best advice that I have is to listen to whatever you want to buy before you buy it. Especially with comfort, SQ... Everything is so subjective and you are really the only one who can decide.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for your advice. I think im actually going to go with a pair of Denon AH-D2000's. They seem to be what im really looking for and im also a Denon dealer
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wangtox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your advice. I think im actually going to go with a pair of Denon AH-D2000's. They seem to be what im really looking for and im also a Denon dealer
smily_headphones1.gif

Why you shameless hussy " Ringer "

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 13
Ya im an A/V integrator by trade. Not the biggest fan of denon AVR sound or control but the owner likes to sell the product.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wangtox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest i totally forgot they even made headphones.

lol. Well good luck with your purchase. From reading about denons here I would say that you should look into modding them when you get them.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol. Well good luck with your purchase. From reading about denons here I would say that you should look into modding them when you get them.

Give them some time "Stock" don't MOD until you've had a chance to hear them after a good burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back