Need help deciding - stick with HD650s or change to SR325i
Oct 20, 2008 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nylus

Head-Fier
I'm stuck in a bit of a dilema here and would really appreciate advice.

Just a bit of background info first...
I listen almost exclusivley to metal particulary death metal.
I listen to almost all my music through my computer.
I have a pair of HD650's (i know - maybe not so good for metal) with no external DAC or amp, so just plugged straight into my computer (i know!)

However, i have £300 and 4 options to upgrade my listening experience.

1) Im on the order list for a pico with DAC, and wait for that and stick with my HD650s plugged into my pico.

2) Cancel my order for the pico, and buy some other DAC/Amp with the money. (Can't really spend much more than £300 for now though. Maybe more later)

3) Cancel my order for the pico, sell my 650s and buy a pair of grado's (SR225's or SR325i's i was thinking)

4) Cancel my order for the pico, sell my 650s, forget about headphones for now, and get the Logitech Z-5500 and blast them away.

I'm well and truley stuck and don't know what to do. All i do know is that i can't listen to metal through these 650s unamped for much longer!

I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 15
HD650 and SR325i are almost polar opposites!

I'd suggest you find an audio shop that carries any Grado model and have a test listen, then allow for the fact that the SR325i is the brightest of all the Grado models.
Of course hearing the sr325i itself would be the best option if possible. The sr225 is also good for metal and rock, but not nearly as tilted toward the bright side as the sr325i.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 15
Wait for the Pico dude. That thing had me very surprized with how much it did for HD650. On its own terms HD650 is not the can for metal/rock at all, but it did a very respectable job out of Pico when I tried it (using my own music too - had Opeth - Ghost Reveries on me at that meet).

Besides - after you get Pico, you can decide to get rid of 650 then and grab a different can if it still does not fit your tastes.

Oh also, I did some experiments with cans back when I listened to death metal alot - my best experience was using Ultrasone Proline 750 / 2500 headphones (Edition 9 is out of your price range =)). They have the same snappy treble that Grado would give you, but along with bass reproduction will let you know everything the drummer is up to (that is where Grados fall apart - they snap, but they won't give you the full low thud of larger drums).

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 15
NiceCans - thanks, i have arranged to try out some 325i's and some 225's tomorrow.

MaloS - Are you saying the Grados are no good for drums? Being a drummer myself, the drums is one of the most important things, if not the MOST important thing in the music i listen to.
I need cans where you can really hear the detail in the drums and hear definition in the bass drums, rather than it being all muddy and unclear, which is what i find with my Senns at the moment. Have you heard any of the Ultrasone hi-fi line, like the 780? Are they not as good as the PRO line for what im after?
I've never tried any Ultrasone headphones before, but are you saying im better off with the 750's than the 325i's? Thanks in advance.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

I've never tried any Ultrasone headphones before, but are you saying im better off with the 750's than the 325i's?

Exactly. =)

The problem of Grados is not particularly in the definition, but in the execution of the lower frequencies - kick-drums and toms particularly suffer from that (and from my experience, without a good enough bass output from a headphone, drums fail to cut through the mix of electric guitars). Also Ultrasones tend to have more definition than Grados.

On the case of HFI line: I have not heard any of it, I only heard Proline 2500/750 (equates to current Pro 2500/750 models) and Edition 9, but considering that Pro's are studio cans, you are better off with one of those for defined sound.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks a lot MaloS. Really appreciate it.

Just a couple of other things if thats ok.

Is the 2500 much better than the 750? Is it worth the extra cash in your opinion?

Do you know of any other cans worth considering? Or are the 750/2500 really the best for "death metal drumming". Ive been looking into the Denon AHD 2000. Are they any good for what i'm after?

Thanks again.

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 15
2500 and 750 cost the same, one is open other is closed...the closed one is better, open one has a heavily recessed midrange.

I am not a fan of D2000, it has a bass resonance that overemphasizes the midbass, and overall the bass overpowers the rest of the frequency range, putting the mids somewhat in the background. Rather sloppy sound.

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 15
After hearing most Grado models and finding much pleasure in them, I eventually wound up keeping a pair of ProLine 750 and selling off the remaining pair of Grado's.

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 15
So it seems the Ultrasone PROline 750s are the way to go for death metal.
I will see if i can arrange to try a pair of them aswell.
Thanks for your help guys.

Also, if anyone else has anything to add or suggest i would greatly appreciate it.

Btw, MaloS. Are the Pro 900's much better than the 750s. Ive found a place that sells them for £325, so i suppose i could stretch to that if its definatley worth it.

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nylus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, MaloS. Are the Pro 900's much better than the 750s. Ive found a place that sells them for £325, so i suppose i could stretch to that if its definatley worth it.

I dunno, 900 was just released and I have not heard it. People who have seem to say that it is rather dark and exceedingly bassy... (that could end up being very very bad).

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #13 of 15
I've owned Proline 750 before, I found its bright and without much micro detail, it is a decent can but nothing special.

The dac of Pico is really nice, but it's amp is not the most ideal choice for HD650

In your situation, I'd definitely sell the HD650 and grab a pair of Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back