Need help deciding over first computer audio combo.
May 26, 2015 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Guillk

New Head-Fier
Ok, after a bunch of time reading and lurking on a lot of forums/guides I came to the conclusion that I require help taking this decision. It will be my first time buying/constructing the audio system I want. 

First of all the specs:

My entertainment room is about 8 x 13 ft, pretty small.
It contain a PC and a PS4 - both should use the same audio equipment.
My budget is around 350-400 for DAC/Amp/Passive Speakers/Monitors.

I decided that I require the Audioengine D1 because it has the Optical and the USB inputs(PS4 and PC), also later down the line I plan to get a good quality 32/250 Ohms Cans that can be driven by this guy. The other option would be the Topping TP D2 with the same characteristics but I haven´t heard a lot about it and a crucial points is quality because I will be ordering from the states to overseas and returns are a pain.

To the points:

1- Which DAC would you recommend me? Taking into account the other DACs mentioned?
2- Which one would you recommend me:

- Passive Speaker/Amp Combo with budget around $ 230 - 280. which ones?? Thinking of AMP: SMSLSA60/AMP100 and MiccaMB42X/BICAmericaDV62si/Fluance SX6
     - Powered Monitors on the same budget. which ones?? Thinking of Audioengine A2 / Armotivs 4 / KRK Rockit.

Also the final build point is to have a 2.1 system(sub for later down the line and the cans).

Thank you all for the help in advance and pardon my english as I am not a native speaker.

May 26, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 5
The PS4 can only output stereo audio to the Audioengine D1, not headphone surround sound.
If you wanted headphone surround sound from the PS4, then you would need something like the Astro Mix-amp, plugged into the PS4's optical port.

May 27, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the answer.

Well  it seems on the reviews that the amp pro version is very bad jejeje, and is it just for headphones? Also not recommended to connect PS4 Toslink to D1? The thing is the starting solution is only speakers then 2.1, then cans.... no cans yet so the Axtro would be just decoration.... What about other parts of the solution in the post?

May 28, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 5
With your budget, get a Denon AVR from accessories4less.com, and then get some passive speakers. An AVR will have optical and HDMI inputs with it's own built in DAC, as well as stereo inputs. So you can plug any of your equipment up to it. You can use it with higher impedance headphones. It will also have bass management for using a sub, and then later on, you would have the option of expanding to 3.1 or 5.1 for surround, which you would probably enjoy for movies and gaming.

For speakers, I would recommend the Wave Crest HLV-1s or EMP Tek R5Bi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back