Need help deciding on what to do with breaking ATH-A900s.
May 7, 2010 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

panda67

Head-Fier
I have had my ATH-A900's for almost 4 years now. They have been giving me problems for the last year or so. Last summer i sent them back to audiotechnica to be repaired. The repair came out to ~$100. They replaced all cables, pads and brackets that hold the cans.

However now I'm having intermittent issues with my right side. When i take off the headphones and hold the right earphone and allow the left side to droop (head phones are held parallel to the ground) sometimes the right side goes out. This seems to be a loose wiring issue or a bad ground somewhere.

I have a few options with how to resolve this.
1. I can send them back to AH and just have them send me a new set for around $150.
2. I can try to re-wire the right side myself for free,
3. Or i can apply the $150(max of maybe 250) to another pair of headphones. Probably another brand as well.

I have some basic soldering skills and the stuff i need, but im just unsure on what to do.

May 7, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 7
You can probably upgrade the cable. For $150, you could probably find someone willing to recable and upgrade the stock cable.

Edit: also it sound like the damage is located it the cable between the left and right cups

May 8, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 7
I dont know if i can justify a $150 cable for a $200 set of headphones.

May 8, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 7
You've had them for 4 years, if you still enjoy their sound signature then I would try to repair them myself. If you wish to try something new, then take that money and buy a new set of cans. Maybe a pair of Grados or Beyers.

May 8, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 7
If you're not confident of your abilities you can still out source the repair and retain your stock cable for much less than the amount audio technica wants for a replacement pair. I'm sure there are a lot of hi fi shops in your area that would repair such a simple task for a reasonable fee.

Also ask audio technica if you can get credit towards an upgrade?

May 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 7
Ive decided to try to fix these and try to grab another set of headphones instead. Maybe some grados or senns. A new set of cans should be more fun as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back