Need help deciding on what IEM is best for me...
Apr 6, 2008 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

GMmarine

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community,
...I guess you could say I'm overwhelmed by the vast amount of IEMs to chose from on the market today. Basically I have a couple I'm choosing from.
They are( but are not limited to ):
Etymotic Research ER-6i $75 << Preferred right now
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 $78
Shure SE110 $80

I'm not so sure about the choices though because I appreciate a good amount of bass( I'm 13 go figure )and I want something durable. Questions:
Which is the most durable?
Which one has the most bass yet doesn't take away from the mids of highs?
Does any one of them need serious EQ tweaks?
Also, if you recommend any other headphones in this price range($100 max) which are IEMs?

Help appreciated.
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 28
You might have to pay a bit more to really get what you want. I splurged recently and got a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro ($190), which are apparently exactly what I was looking for.

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 28
I'm considering to pick up the denon 751's as well, but this made me wonder if they're that good... You got any defense?

They're not for me, but for a mate which is a classical bass player, so he want's headphones with good bass, but also can perform well in the highs of a symphony orchestra (which that review indicates that it can't)

The price-range of this purchase is higher though, and can be stretched up to 300$, so does anyone have any other good recommendations for this use ?

Edit: How is the 751's compared to Etymotic ER-6i ?

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveed84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might have to pay a bit more to really get what you want. I splurged recently and got a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro ($190), which are apparently exactly what I was looking for.

how is the comfort and stickingness from the ear? do you use the flip flop mod with them, so they won't stick out of the ear?

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 28
Honestly you won't get a lot of bass out of either of those three. The Super.fi 3 is probably the best one but still is not a bass monster in any way. Your best bet would be the Super.fi 5 either EB or Pro but both are a lot more expensive.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 28
For $80 you should also consider Head-Direct RE2s as a group buy right here on Head-fi. They have more bass and really good mids.
You can't really go wrong with any of the in-ears you have listed they are all quite good in their own way. Maybe try and search this site to find out what people think of them.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 28
I have the situation as you. I was thinking about getting Etymotic 6i Isolator, but it's lack of bass is worrying me. I wanted to be durable too because every headphone I get break in a year. Those Denon's look pretty cool.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 28
Thanks for the input, the Denon one's seem alright but they don't look like they'll block out as much outside noise as the ER-6i. Also my price I'm willing to pay is varying really(-$150). So keep the suggestions coming!
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 28
the SE110 is dynamic, and probably the bassiest of the three.

There isn't anything wrong with Shures in that range, just don't pay MAP for them - $80 is a decent deal. I am -pretty- sure they are based off of e2c's, and while not a great deal at $100, they're not that bad at all.

Actually, finding a pair of e2c's might be an even better choice, as they are even cheaper right now.

I found the Super.Fi 4 to be bassier and generally better sounding than the 3, though more prone to cable noise.

It is really difficult to get decent bass out of any single armature IEM - I'd go dynamic or dual armature if I was looking for bass.

Oh wait, I did
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMmarine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input, the Denon one's seem alright but they don't look like they'll block out as much outside noise as the ER-6i. Also my price I'm willing to pay is varying really(-$150). So keep the suggestions coming!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, they don't look like they'll block noise. The ER-6i cable doesn't seem pretty durable and I see reveiws that it said that they break fast. I want a step up from the Apple Earbuds. I want the replies to keep coming too. I wonder if Shure SE110 is that bad. I was thinking of getting it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back