Need help deciding on two PC's
Jan 24, 2010 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mega

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Ive had my old HP P4 computer for about 4-5 years now, and i think its time for a PC upgrade. Ive been out of the game for a while, so i had some catching up to do regarding all the new hardware thats out. I have these two custom built machines in mind, but im having trouble deciding which one to get. I will use the computer on a Windows 7 Pro 64bit OS. I mainly use my PC for major browsing, online video/streams, media, emulators, and occasional gaming (nothing hardcore). I plan on maybe overclocking the CPU, but again, nothing hardcore (around 3.2 or slightly more). Here are the two systems, along with the prices:

($1108)
1. Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan
MSI X58M, DDR3, SLI/CrossFire, LAN, Audio
HEC X-Power Pro 650W Power Supply SLI/CrossFire ready
6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel
750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache Western Digital
GeForce 9800 GT 1GB PCI Express 2.0 x16

2. ($1018)
Intel Core I7 860 LGA 1156, 2.8 GHz, 8MB L3 Cache
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU Fan For Intel CPU
BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX Intel P55 DDR3, SLI/CrossFire Support
HEC X-Power Pro 650W Power Supply SLI/CrossFire ready
4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) major brand
750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache Western Digital
GeForce 9800 GT 1GB PCI Express 2.0 x16

Would the i7 920 and the 2GB extra/faster ram be worth the extra $90 or so? Should i upgrade the video card, (GTX 260 for $67 more) or is the 9800GT more than fine with occasional gaming/emulators? This system would probably have to last me for a good 4-5 years. Which would be a better overall value?

Thanks.

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 9

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the info.

Im not actually going to be building this computer...im getting it custom made by a manufacturer, with the parts they have listed to choose from. I just listed the main parts of the computer, leaving out the case, case fan, cd/dvd drives, ect..so that should factor in on the overall price a bit. I also chose to go with that power supply based on the pretty solid reviews with newegg at a cheaper price.

Id prefer to stick with Nvidia cards..they have been very steady with me instead of Ati, which has given me problems in the past. Any recommendations that aren't too expensive?

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 9
Seriously, build your own. You will pay MUCH less money. It's really quite easy.

The power supplies on both are marginal IMO. Check out this list for power supplies:

EggXpert - Eggxpert Tiered Power Supply List

Note that HEC power supplies are in "Tier 5". Especially if you are going to OC, a good power supply is the key to a stable system.

Right now ATI has a monopoly on Direct X 11 video cards- which I would strongly recommend looking into for future-proofing reasons. 9800GT is starting to get a bit outdated.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 9
I've never heard of that power supply manufacturer- go for something more reputable like Enermax, Antec, Tagan, PC Power & Cooling, etc. And although that Biostar motherboard is higher end, Biostar has historically been a low-end manufacturer. I'd recommend something more along the lines of Asus, DFI, Gigabyte or the MSI board you have in the more expensive build.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 9
Ahm...never heard of that PSU brand...I'd choose a reputable brand (Corsair, Antec, Thermaltake) when it comes to PSUs. Rock stable, long-lasting power is the most important component of a computer imo and often overlooked. You may get away w/ some mediocre CPU or GPU or even mobo, but PSUs are what powers the entire system and w/o adequate, stable power you will have nothing but trouble. Personally I avoid any PSUs costing < $100, since most of them are made of cheap components like electrolyte, hence usually break, wear out faster than other good brands' counterparts like my Thermaltake 1200w PSU. When it comes to GPU and mobo, I am an unabashed EVGA fan due to their stellar customer support, big community (and high-quality components they use on their mobos), so it's worthwhile considering their brand as well. I see many customers of other brands coming to EVGA forums to ask for help, so that somewhat shows off what the words on the street are w.r.t. the EVGA community. Fermi (GF100/GT300) is due this March and the dual GPU (GTX 395 equivalent) is due this April or May so I'd hold off on getting a new video card for the price drops on existing cards until then. Also the 2nd generation of GF100 is in the works which is due Q4, so the longer you wait the better. They originally had planned the GTX 380 due in Nov last year but got delayed to Jan this year then this March. Since ATI/Nvidia puts out new generations of cards every 12 months or so, it isn't utterly unfeasible to say we will see GT300 and GT400 in the same year. By then you get an idea how old 9800GT will be. As far as air-cooling is concerned, Prolimatech (founded by former engineers of Thermalright) Megahalems has been at the top of the list for some time now beating out the long hard TRUE (former king before Mega for 2 years) and competing toe-to-toe against IFX-14. You will need to get the Mega Shadow or Megahalems Rev B for socket 1156 mounting brackets.

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 9
Please don't buy that PSU. Seriously, most of the cheapo psus are super noisy and super inefficient. They also die pretty fast and when that happens they tend to take at least your mobo.

If you don't game much then stick with the 9800GT. It's good enough for casual gaming. If you do plan to OC, maybe just pay more $$$ for a TRUE or a Megahalem.

I've got a 920 and it's not that super mega awesome for gaming. Honestly I've had mega buyers remorse since I bought that pc as my x48/q6600 was mighty fast for my needs. Oh well, upgraditis is horrible and worse than audio stuff. I want to upgrade my 275s
frown.gif
. Must resist...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back