Need help deciding on pulling the trigger on some Sennheiser 800s
Dec 12, 2018 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jthompson300

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all! I am contemplating getting the Sennheiser 800s to see what the hype is all about and while everyone’s ear is different I was hoping to get some feedback for those who have owned both the Sennheiser 800s and the Audeze LCD-2 revision 2(with fazor, 2016 model) and what made them lean one way or the other.

To be honest I am not even sure if my gear can run the Sennheiser (check signature for current amps) but I am truly curious about the 800s and would love any opinions/advice.

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 5
Have you pulled the trigger on the 800s yet? I got the 800S’s a few weeks back. I jumped from the 660s. So far, the result has been everything the hype cracked them up to be. Haven’t owned the LCDs so I can’t speak to that perspective but so far, they’ve proven to be a an excellent, neutral, and ultimately beautiful sounding headphone. I’m pushing them with the Jotunheim with the Dac option through the MacBook Pro with tidal hifi and a AQ Carbon. I’m looking for an option for a standalone Dac to add right now but I’m extremely happy with the purchase and don’t regret dropping the money for them. If you have any specific questions, I’d be willing to answer and help as much as I can

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 5
I have the Senn 800 headphones and the Audeze LCD-2 (pre-Fazor), and if you're still curious about the difference, they are very different sounding headphones: the Senns are bright and extremely detailed and with some amps will sound clinical or even fatiguing (though there is an easy-to-do modification that tames the peak in the treble. The Audezes are dark with lots of bass and recessed upper mids, but a little sparkle on top (a slight peak around 10k Hz) keeps them from sounding too dull.

Audezes are much harder to drive than the Senns. The Senns will sound good through most amps, but the Audezes need an amp that has both power (2-4 watts) and the ability to drive low impedance headphones.

Without going through DSP or a fat-sounding tube amp, the HD800s can sound edgy. However, if you love detail and resolution, you'll hear it all with these 'phones. If you prefer a laid-back sound, the LCD-2 is the way to go.

If you can afford both, they complement one another really nicely. I mostly listen to the HD800, but some recordings sound better (sweeter) on the LCD-2.

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 5
Forgot to include something crucial: while I enjoy listening to both of these headphones, one of the more noticeable differences doesn't concern EQ but the way the HD800 manages to sound wider than any other headphones I've heard. There's simply more of a sense of space. Doesn't make sense to call it "soundstaging," but compared to other headphones I've heard, the HD800 has a wider and deeper sense of the space musicians are playing in.

I find it quite addictive.

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 5
^ this. You can equalize many headphones to your liking, but you can't do anything to increase the soundstage. The HD800(s) has it in spades. It's stupidly easy to equalize one for more bass, too. Despite all the hype about many flagship headphones, you will find more headphone users with a pair of HD800 headphones than any other flagship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back